Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Nahh, would have enjoyed seeing Astana and CSC going head to head. Could have been an epic display of team tactics between two juggernauts fighting each other. Seeing CSC play U.S. Postal without any challenge by the rest of the peloton wasn't exactly entertaining. Poor Cadel, his team really blows.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Would have been MORE fun had they been around with the likes of Kloden and Horner helping Alberto Contador out (Kloden would eventually support Contador or perhaps, ride with the main group since he'd be up there too) as CSC and them went at each other's throats.

·
Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, but even with the CSC juggernaut, it came down to the final TT. Despite their team dominance this year, their GC contenders aren't really as strong as Astana. No Astana really evened out the playing field

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Racer C said:
Yeah, but even with the CSC juggernaut, it came down to the final TT. Despite their team dominance this year, their GC contenders aren't really as strong as Astana. No Astana really evened out the playing field
But there would be tons more attacks to try and crack Kloden and futile attempts to do the same to Contador perhaps.

He'd respond well and counter very well whereas Kloden will just claw his way back ala Menchov but he's stronger and a better TT rider.

G

·
Sastre and Contador going at it? I think it would have been A. Schleck and Ricco (b/4 he was kicked out) going for it. Conti would likely have followed Sastre up the Alpe - and maybe even beaten him.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It was more exciting, in the way that NCAA gridiron football is more exciting than pro (Tom Brady vs a Manning? again?). Yeah, Contador probably would have won as a foregone conclusion and Astana the team competition, so it would be a bit predictable.

But the thing is, when you have the greatest competition of its kind in the world, you can't justify excluding the top competitors because they make it boring. The top athletes is what makes it the pinnacle of cycling.

It's like this: I'd rather be last in an Olympic race than first in an amateur one, because when you finish last in the Olympics, you're still an Olympian, and when you come in first in an amateur race, you're still an amateur.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I think it would have been better with Astana. Really, there was only 1 significant attack by any GC favorite... on 1 day. They need more attackers next year. I'd like to see Andy Schleck switch teams... I think he might be another attacker.

On the other hand... maybe they knew Contador wasn't clean (Giro supposedly knew Ricco was on 3rd gen EPO, but none of the tests have been validated) and I'd definitely rather leave them out than have them kicked out Ricco-style.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
MaddSkillz said:
I kind of wonder what Levi would have contributed as well. With is killer TT's this year already, he would have been a contender for sure.
He could be top 10 for sure and top 5 perhaps but Kloden would probably out do him anyway up the climbs and Kloden's TT is really solid too so....

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,364 Posts
Is it clear that Astana might even be invited to the tour next year? And if so, would Contador be on it? Will Astana even exist?

Anyway, yeah, in general last year's mountain stages were much more fun to watch, with Contador, Rasmussen and Soler playing tag with each other. But this year's Alpe d'Huez stage was still a stunner.

And I have to utter the cliche -- It's not the stars that make the Tour de France, it's the Tour de France that makes the stars.

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
ti-triodes said:
The lack of Astana was BS. Not having the best team diminished the Tour and made ASO look like fools.
They cut of their noses to spite their faces. Now they can brag that they had the third most prestigious bike race in the world, right behind the Giro and Vuelta.

·
I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I think this years tour lacked the dramatics of past years but it was very interesting watching Sastre come from behind to take yellow and eventually hold on. This years tour in my opinion was great. I would have enjoyed seeing Astana in the race.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I don't think Levi would have been any more exciting than Evans--same type of boring (consistently strong) rider. I think the TdF will be won by someone who can attack in the mountains. While Levi might have pulled off a better TT than Evans, Contador would have had a bigger lead--Levi would have been in about the same spot as last year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.