Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started biking 1 month ago and yesterday I rode my first half century! I am hoping to ride a century by the end of the summer! Had to post and toot my own horn. I ride an 2006 Specialized Allez Elite.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
dww22 said:
I just started biking 1 month ago and yesterday I rode my first half century! I am hoping to ride a century by the end of the summer! Had to post and toot my own horn. I ride an 2006 Specialized Allez Elite.
That's pretty big miles for a newbie. Good going.

You might share your fitness/activity level prior to taking up cycling, and how you felt afterward (and today or tomorrow), and how long you took to do it, just for the benefit of other noobs who are wondering what it takes to do this kind of mileage, and how beat up they'll be if they try.

Sounds like you're hooked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been lifting weights for about 2 years now but not a lot of cardio (more like none!) I am 40 years old, 6'1 207 so I fit into the clydesdale catagory. My legs are tired today but I am not dead. It took me 3 1/2 hours but my bikes bottom bracket became loose about 35 miles into the trip. Luckily, it was by my buddy/bike mechanic's house. I stopped in at his house and chatted for about 10 or 15 minutes while he fixed my bike. I stopped 2 other times other than that for a drink.

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
Congrats!

Fifty miles after only a month ain't bad, given your age and history. By coincidence I got back into riding at about the same age, and had about the same body type as you (6'-0" and around 200lbs, then). For the first few days it was all I could do to pound out two or three miles in the local industrial park. My first big milestone also came at about the one-month point, but it was 50k, not 50m.

Keep at it! You'll soon be going even longer, and even faster. (I'm now 53 and while going longer isn't much of a problem, going faster definitely is ...)

·
Banned
657 Posts
dww22 said:
I have been lifting weights for about 2 years now but not a lot of cardio (more like none!) I am 40 years old, 6'1 207 so I fit into the clydesdale catagory. My legs are tired today but I am not dead. It took me 3 1/2 hours but my bikes bottom bracket became loose about 35 miles into the trip. Luckily, it was by my buddy/bike mechanic's house. I stopped in at his house and chatted for about 10 or 15 minutes while he fixed my bike. I stopped 2 other times other than that for a drink.
I resemble that! Not your weight & height but I come from a bodybuilding background. Good job on the ride! Sounds like you need a new bike...

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
dww22 said:
A lot of us started riding as 'Masters' and remember what the first 50 miler was like. It IS a big deal. - TF

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.