Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch this video (be patient with a few seconds of commercials).
It details the story of a local cyclist who was run over & left to die last summer. The lowlife who committed the crime escaped any criminal responsibility because the DA's & even worse the citizens of Massachusetts are morons.
Here's a link to a more in-depth story written in a local website.
It is pathetic that the idiots on the grand jury couldn't understand the laws in Massachusetts.
What's even worse, is that in criminal-friendly, taxpayer-law-abiding citizen hating Massachusetts, the grand jury can not hear that the driver has had his license suspended ninteen times.
Watch the video. This a-hole driver knew what he was doing,
This makes me sick.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Oh how sad. From the video, that trucker knew there was a cyclist and should have driven with caution to ensure he didn't hit him. How does a cyclist ever protect themselves from such drivers if law enforcement doesn't?

Can somebody explain to me what "return a true bill" means?

After hearing the testimony by the investigators and witnesses involved in the case, reviewing the accident reconstruction data, viewing the photographs and videos depicting the evidence as well as the simulation of the crash the grand jury did not return a true bill on any of the charges brought before them for consideration.

·
Banned
4,235 Posts
All I have to say is this is sickening! After reading all of the police reports I feel this guy should be doing serious jail time. How in the fvck can someone with nineteen serious traffic violations be allowed to drive a commercial vehicle. If they don't hold this guy accountable they need to go after the owner of the truck. Stories like this make me wonder why I go out and ride every day.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
All I have to say is this is sickening! After reading all of the police reports I feel this guy should be doing serious jail time. How in the fvck can someone with nineteen serious traffic violations be allowed to drive a commercial vehicle. If they don't hold this guy accountable they need to go after the owner of the truck. Stories like this make me wonder why I go out and ride every day.
Not only allowed to drive a commercial vehicle, how was he able to keep his regular license???

·
Fred the Clydesdale
1,807 Posts
I hate to say this, because I do believe an injustice has been done. I am not convinced the driver saw the cyclist. Trucks with long square hoods have a blind spot up there. The drivers can't see the area just in front and to the right of their truck. He is pretty high above the road, but his vision in that area is blocked by the truck's long rectangular hood. The only moment the truck driver could have seen the cyclist is at the time he made the left turn.

What if he was distracted? Or even was looking for cars/trucks and just plain missed seeing the cyclist?

If he was distracted, he could have been cited for negligence.

I can understand why cyclists would be uspset that a truck driver who has had numerous traffic viloations get off after killing a cyclist.

·
Banned
4,235 Posts
I hate to say this, because I do believe an injustice has been done. I am not convinced the driver saw the cyclist. Trucks with long square hoods have a blind spot up there. The drivers can't see the area just in front and to the right of their truck. He is pretty high above the road, but his vision in that area is blocked by the truck's long rectangular hood. The only moment the truck driver could have seen the cyclist is at the time he made the left turn.

What if he was distracted? Or even was looking for cars/trucks and just plain missed seeing the cyclist?

If he was distracted, he could have been cited for negligence.

I can understand why cyclists would be uspset that a truck driver who has had numerous traffic viloations get off after killing a cyclist.
There's no way this guy didn't know he hit the cyclist. This guy lost all his credibility 19 violations ago.

·
Fred the Clydesdale
1,807 Posts
There's no way this guy didn't know he hit the cyclist. This guy lost all his credibility 19 violations ago.
Ok. He saw the cyclist. I did not read the whole police report. Dang. That stinks.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I had a truck that zoomed by me at about 100 km/hr, clearing me with only about a foot (nobody coming towards him so he had a whole lane he could have moved over to). Some of them are just a$$holes and don't give 2 $hits if they kill a cyclist. The force form that truck pushed me off onto the gravel shoulder.

The more drivers get away with doing this, the less care they are going to take.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
wow. I'm disgusted by the legal system in general and the Massachusette citizens particularly. I've always thought of Massachusette as the land of universities with smart folks. Apparently, outside of the universities campuses, the Massachusette population is pretty dumb.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
OK, thanks.

So in Massachusetts, do all criminal activities have to go to a grand jury before charges are laid?
No. Only cases that are being prosecuted in the Superior Court have to be presented to a grand jury. Most criminal proceedings, including many felonies, can be brought in the lower (District) courts. All that requires is for a police officer to file an application for a complaint, and supporting facts, that gives probable cause for a clerk-magistrate to issue a complaint.

G

·
Obvious case of intentional jury nullification. Several of the members on the Grand Jury likely hate cyclists, therefore voted to not indict despite the evidence.

Even had it gone to trial there's a good chance it would've resulted in an acquittal as it only takes one moron out of 12 to say "but for the grace of God it could've been me on trial over a silly 'accident' " and vote not guilty.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Can somebody explain to me what "return a true bill" means?
To Indict.
Agreeing that the the DA has presented enough evidence to support their case.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sounds like the trucker was pissed the cyclist went through the intersection when the trucker had the right of way. He acknowledged seeing him but the way he was driving appeared either he didn't, or was intentionally being aggressive. So obviously the latter. A case of "I'll show him"

·
Registered
960 Posts
Going back to the OP, has there been any word as to why the Grand Jury failed to indict? Did they believe the driver that he did not hit the cyclist, or did they believe that the degree of culprability was not sufficient to meet the elements of the crimes that were charged?

Now the civil side of the process begins and the drivers record is fair game and admissable.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.