Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one year, a few bikes and probably 4000+ miles later I thought I was pretty hot stuff . I was a little too confident and a little surprised at all the clipless falls I read about. I never had even a close call. Today I was also a tiny bit hungover. 8 miles in to a very windy ride I came to a stop and turned into a rookie. I couldn't unclip until I was at a pretty big lean. I did unclip but my shoe skated across the pavement and I went down surprisingly hard on my knee and heel of my hand. I then had another 12 miles of slightly hungover riding with a hurt hand and knee into a 10-20mph headwind. rough start to my ride but when I turned around and had a big tailwind, I was a rock star again. Moral of the story is if clipless pedals haven't gotten you yet they probably will. And tail winds cure almost everything.

Reactions: ph0enix

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mine was at a stoplight standing still, looked over at something in the direction of my clipped in side and bam somehow the wind took me down as well. Only bruised my ego and I am sure the 4-5 cars alongside of me got a good chuckle out of it........

·
Registered
71 Posts
Suffered my first more or less serious clipless fall recently too.
Was climbing a mountain at night; It was long and hard climb - about 15 kilometers of steep windy road and about 900 meters of altitude. Stopped to take a breath just before the top and fell down when clipping back - just as result of my own fatigue and steep road.
Dérailleur hanger bent, some small scratches on derailleur itself; Me fine. :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
I got mine out of the way on my very first ride with them. I can still point out the exact spot in Mountainville, NJ.

I recently fell on my mtn. bike in NM. Was going down a jeep trail, and got into a rut. Went to unclip and my heel was up against the side of the rut and couldn't release. Low speed thud.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
To the OP: Good thing you didn't get hurt too badly. Well, physically anyways. I call those nice tail wind rides an "ego ride". I get some good speeds and don't feel exhausted.

My first fall was pretty close to my first ride with clips. I hit some soft gravel in a construction zone, stopped dead and kerplunk I went over. The construction guys ran over to help me (I'm a woman) as I couldn't get unclipped so I could get up. It must have been hilarious to watch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got mine out of the way on my very first ride with them. I can still point out the exact spot in Mountainville, NJ.

I recently fell on my mtn. bike in NM. Was going down a jeep trail, and got into a rut. Went to unclip and my heel was up against the side of the rut and couldn't release. Low speed thud.
yup! go ride a mountain bike on a decent trail and get the "i haven't fallen yet cos of clipless" out of your system :)

increase the chances by wearing an old pair or road shoes and pedals off road!

·
Frog Whisperer
41,018 Posts
Not 1 fall for me and I have been using clipless for almost 4 days now! :) .. yep I know its going to happen and nothing I can do about it.
get it over with......oh, and do it at a BUSY intersection with LOTS of pedestrians watching.....at.....say lunchtime?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
My first fall was pretty close to my first ride with clips. I hit some soft gravel in a construction zone, stopped dead and kerplunk I went over. The construction guys ran over to help me (I'm a woman) as I couldn't get unclipped so I could get up. It must have been hilarious to watch.
LOL, these are the worst conditions, laying on the ground with a bike hooked to your feet which you can't get away from. Been there myself, loose sand gave way turing into my driveway, fell on my side (shoulder - tip don't bother using your hand you just do more damage - hold the bars and roll into it), it go better when I slide head down into the ditch (fortunately it was dry). Laying head on my back down in the ditch with a bike in the air, having to take my shoes off to get away from the bike.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also have clipless on my MTB. I have had some very close calls, like slamming into a root but have not actually fallen over. I think on the MTB I am always worried about falling and on the roadbike I felt too good and got too cocky. I'm sure coming to a few stops while clipped in and moving the bars around while balanced just for a second or two sealed my fate with the clipless gods!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Like others have said riding a mountain bike on any "good" trail will get it out of your system and teach you to panic unclip quickly. God knows I can't count the number of times I've crashed my mountain bike. It's not a good ride unless you're bleeding and something on the bike is broken.

Reactions: bigzebra

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
How about coming up to the group riders in the parking lot just prior to an A ride, all racers on CF wunderbikes? Yeah, baby, if you"re gonna do a thing do it with pizzaz!

·
Registered
120 Posts
It's almost as bad when you've joined your wife on a women's cycling club ride....

I unclipped approaching an intersection, rested the foot lightly back on the pedal, and clipped back in without knowing it, so fell right over into gravel at a STOP sign.

It wouldn't have been so bad, but sharp rocks caused the knee to bleed quite a bit, and so I kept getting asked, "what happened?" And "Fell over like an idiot at a STOP sign" wasn't fun to keep admitting...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Sorry, but there are 3. Those who have, those who are going to, and those who are going to again.

I place myself in the 3rd catagory.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.