Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought after a few years of following stage races - particularly The TDF - I had it pretty much figured out. In today’s Stage 19 - I must say I am back to being a bit puzzled. They Yellow Jersey has a somewhat vulnerable lead. The breakaway group of 20 riders is now about 9:00 minutes out. 13 miles remaining. The “outstanding” NBC commentators have not shown or said who each of the 20 are. I therefore must assume that none are within striking distance of the YJ. IF I’m riding somewhere within 5 minutes of the GC lead - why in the hell would I not be in that breakaway? Like I said, I do understand a whole lot more than 10 years ago. Maybe holding back to give myself a chance in tomorrow’s TT? But if I’m a GC rider - that is problematic. So I am still asking, why no close or close to close riders in the breakaway?

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Sky would never let you get in that breakaway or let a breakaway containing you get away if you were within 5 minutes of the yellow jersey. The only guys they were going to watch ride up the road and give any kind of room to are guys that are absolutely no threat at all.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
It also took over 30 minutes to get this break established in the first place. Anyone in the top 12 in GC weren't being allowed to get into the break in the first place. It appears if you wanted to be in today's break the first thing was that he had to be at least 20 plus minutes down.

·
Registered
193 Posts
With over 150 riders, cant a GC contender sneak into the breakaway, maybe he can cover his face with his hand as he passes by team Sky, smear some dirt on his number to hide it

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Contador and Valverde tried that last year with 2-3 teammates each in the break. Sky wouldn't let them have any leeway. That was the stage in which Contador finally abandoned the race. Valverde choose to go back to the peloton to allow the break to have a chance to succeed.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Sky would never let you get in that breakaway or let a breakaway containing you get away if you were within 5 minutes of the yellow jersey. The only guys they were going to watch ride up the road and give any kind of room to are guys that are absolutely no threat at all.
^^^ This ^^^

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
With over 150 riders, cant a GC contender sneak into the breakaway, maybe he can cover his face with his hand as he passes by team Sky, smear some dirt on his number to hide it
You been reading to many comic books, uh, graphic novels.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
You must remember.

The team cars have electronic devices that allow them to follow the stages from many different angles.

Very similar to how we, the viewers, follow the stages.

I'm following via NBCSN. The commentators keeps an eye on contenders and threats. Like NASCAR; they have devices that can pinpoint and flag a rider from a helicopter cam.

There's virtually no hiding if you're a threat to any of the jerseys.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will let this horse rest in peace. After one more attempt. IF I am 5 min back, I have to realize there is virtually no chance if I sit back and “follow protocol”. Be a good boy and admit defeat perhaps 5 stages from end. That has been pointed out. So, why not upset, in this case Sky’s plan? I CAN get into the breakaway - it’s just that Sky must bring me back. Energy spent - not planned. Then, who knows, maybe I upset the plan. Look, I agree with all of what you guys are saying - but seems to me “getting out of the box” may be good. So now - barring a crash in TT - Chris cruises home on Sunday. By the way, I see no reason for the parade on Sunday.. It’s called a race.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
It is NOT going to happen. As I said look at the stage in last year's Tour that Valverde and Contador managed to get into the break. Sky wasn't going to let that go. Contador couldn't hold on because of his injuries and Valverde choose to sit up and wait for the peloton to allow the rest of the people in that break to have a shot at staying away.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
I will let this horse rest in peace. After one more attempt. IF I am 5 min back, I have to realize there is virtually no chance if I sit back and “follow protocol”. Be a good boy and admit defeat perhaps 5 stages from end. That has been pointed out. So, why not upset, in this case Sky’s plan? I CAN get into the breakaway - it’s just that Sky must bring me back. Energy spent - not planned. Then, who knows, maybe I upset the plan. Look, I agree with all of what you guys are saying - but seems to me “getting out of the box” may be good. So now - barring a crash in TT - Chris cruises home on Sunday. By the way, I see no reason for the parade on Sunday.. It’s called a race.
Had Bardet done that yesterday he would have been off the podium now. That would certainly upset _a_ plan but probably not the one intended.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If lance armstrong was in 2nd, 3rd place at the beginning of stage 19, he would of joined the breakaway.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Had Bardet done that yesterday he would have been off the podium now. That would certainly upset _a_ plan but probably not the one intended.
The avg cycling fan doesnt know who won 2nd, 3rd place in the GC. I dont even know who came in 2nd 3rd the previous years. I have a hard time remembering last years Super Bowl loser. Settling for a 2nd, 3rd and not spilling all your guts on asphalt to win it all, is just sad.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
don't be so sure about that . folks keep track of the podiums and where their hopeful heroes placed in the top 10 for a long long time. This is not a pointless boring sport like american Football, LOL (jk). However you make a good point that the wider PR value for sponsors is in the TDF win, above all else in pro cycling.

Lance would not be in any big breakaway-o-the-day from the other contenders if he had been 2 min down like you suggest. It would be nigh impossible to escape them, or end up like Contador this year burning out near the end and losing mucho time that day or the day after. His successful attacks were never ever in long 30-100km breakaways. Instead like all Tour winners he would attack in the last 1-10km of a climb, after the main competitors have been worn down trying to keep up to the Postal train, and he can see exactly how they react to his accelerations.
... however there was this guy named Floyd Landis who pulled it off, for a few days, didn't end well. But oh man what a crazy few days that was!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
None of the GC contenders attacked while Sky was drinking champagne. Unbelievable.

You need to use the sarcasm markups....otherwise someone might mistake you for actually being surprised at this.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts