Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this is just in the moment and changes in a day or so:

Tuition payments for the university I go to were due yesterday. Based on previous procedure, I'm never allowed to make the payment until the day of for some dumb reason. So I followed that again, but weirdly, it states that I have no outstanding payments due at the time and never lets me make any sort of transaction.

Bursar's office was closed at the time for me to address the issue yesterday, so I rightfully made the move to contact them today. What did I get? A "you're subject to dis-enrollment", "I don't know what to do", "we have no other department that deals with such an issue", "best you can do is (pay late enrollment fees) and try to enroll in any open classes", and "sorry I know it's unfair",

YOU ****ING KIDDING ME? Because this school over-enrolls people in the first place, it's been a real pisser just to get past the regular class enrollment procedure. This semester, I again had to resort to a bunch of GE classes that will work out for my degree progression. There was only one major class I could take, and with it's given time slot, I'd have to sacrifice qualifying as a full-time student if I were to take it. And on top of that, I commute to this (overpriced) school so I do need to be critical about scheduling.

This isn't the first time I've been shafted. Twice I've been thrown some sub-qualified teachers (one was a student teacher). Yeah, "that happens" but one of those shaftings of teachers apparently got a ****r to make things worse.

As a result, I failed a class (Math, which has/still stood as my "best subject" of all things), and could not renew/retake it for over a year due to enrollment priority policies and said over-enrollment. This led to a chain of disruptions in my course/term plans and delayed me by over a year. The second I'm somewhat making up for it is when this current issue comes up. Don't even get me started on financial aid.

I know it's "tough times" (California school budget, US economy), but there's like ZERO forms of justice my school can offer? Unbelievable. I'll be in college for like 9 years just to get my bachelors if this stays how it is.

Transferring schools has been in the making since my freshmen year, but since I had a nice "F" on my transcript, I've had to build up the GPA to at least put me in some remote contention for another school. Got to a flat 3.0, hoping to make it to an easy 3.3-3.5 with GE classes. Guess that might not happen. :mad2:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
drop out- start career now, by the time everyone else gets out of school you will be years ahead

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
thedago said:
drop out- start career now, by the time everyone else gets out of school you will be years ahead
from my grad school experience - you betcha.
from my undergrad experience - no ****ing way.

all depends what you want to (or are going to, regardless of whether you want to or not) do. while I might have been capable of doing what I do now w/o the degree, I certainly couldn't have gotten the job doing it without it.

·
Proud luddite
7,205 Posts
Man, it sounds like your school's payment system is totally screwey! They need to get that straightened out, but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that. Sorry you're having to deal with this...is there someone "in charge" there who can help fix this for you?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Why did you wait to pay till after the bursers office was closed? Seems like you took the risk that everything would go OK.

Curious and all.

len

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Len J said:
Why did you wait to pay till after the bursers office was closed? Seems like you took the risk that everything would go OK.

Curious and all.

len
This. And why did you let an F stand if you were indeed shafted by the prof? Particularly in math where the correct answers aren't really subject to interpretation.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
College is the best time of your life, so stay as long as you can; chase women, drink plenty of liquor and when you are at the beach, use plenty of sunscreen.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,799 Posts
bopApocalypse said:
from my grad school experience - you betcha.
from my undergrad experience - no ****ing way.

all depends what you want to (or are going to, regardless of whether you want to or not) do. while I might have been capable of doing what I do now w/o the degree, I certainly couldn't have gotten the job doing it without it.
This.

It all depends on the desired field.

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
Just wait until they "lose" the records showing you've paid your tuition. And they make you pay it over.

Seriously, why did you leave the registrar's office until you had the president of the university in there?

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
My advice.

1) Figure out what you want to do and decide if school is needed. If so, which school works best and go there.
2) Have your ducks in a row. Have everything as it should be on your end.
3) Document, document, document. School administrators make their lives easier by taking advantage of students. Some will straight out lie to you (especially the financial ones) and it helps nail their ass to the wall when things are documented.
4) If they don't cooperate, go over their heads to supervisors with documentation. And over their heads if need be. This has always worked for me and usually results in professional e-mails apologizing to me along with them actually doing their jobs.

I'm convinced that college administrators are mostly people that don't want to work and will do anything to get out of it.

Disclaimer: there are some good ones out there but they're in the minority.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Call this the "excuse table"...

wooglin said:
This. And why did you let an F stand if you were indeed shafted by the prof? Particularly in math where the correct answers aren't really subject to interpretation.
Since my parents have the money in their accounts, it was all to when they were done at work, which is after the closing time of the Bursar's office. And I know this is a little irrelevant and repeated, but I have no idea why we weren't allowed to just pay before the payment date at our convenience in the first place. Current "idea" is really to just press the issue on the school and hope something budges. I was baffled to find that the Bursar rep had no other departments regarding this case to refer me to. Well go figure, that was THE department to go to.

As for Math. I did the case of taking advantage of the teacher evaluation sheets and addressed this problem of a teacher the mathematics department. One day, what I believed to be an observer/evaluator showed up for the class. It was clear she couldn't follow what the hell the teacher was saying with a "so wait, is this supposed to be some type of review for a test?" in a confused tone. She left the room, and then the teacher chased after her. God knows what was going on. Was it a case of my competence as well? No. I re-took that class with a heavier schedule, and Ace'd the thing - just as I've typically been for my entire academic math "career". Difference between the teachers was the teaching for one, and the part where the later teacher wasn't arbitrarily deducting scores and turning the class into some knowledge contest. Quizzes in the failed class demanded paragraph answers, and led to the failure of the majority of the students in that class.

The other class I mentioned with an un-acceptable teacher, Communications/Public Speaking, had this same case. I was pro-active with hunting down the department head and student teacher facilitator. Action was somewhat taken, as a member of that department reverted the class time into a mid-semester evaluation about the teacher (teacher obviously wasn't in the building). Department understood the class' say, but even then, they wouldn't compensate us grade-wise (into say, a pass/fail circumstance). As biased as this sounds, it wasn't the students - something was up for sure when it was pointed out that every other Public Speaking class was averaging much higher grades. I'm just happy I passed this one.

Both classes included some characters (students) who were well-disciplined, knew to take things seriously (one was a mother - one of many who were in a nursing major to break their back to try and get perfect grades), and rather bright. And finding them to have trouble really stood out.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
Complain about it to anyone who will listen - ombudsman (start here), student council, departmental dean, senate, office of the president (hell, maybe even Office of the President!) anyone who you can convince that setting up a system which forces people to fail at something, then penalizing them when they do fail is beyond asinine.

When I went to university (500 km away from home), I got shafted out of a room in residence which was "guaranteed" in my offer of acceptance. I slept in the basement of one building during frosh week, and went to the housing office for as they opened, coffee break, lunch, coffee break and end of day, every day for that week. By Thursday morning they gave me my choice of 6 residences.

This sucks. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My Own Private Idaho said:
Just wait until they "loose" the records showing you've paid your tuition. And they make you pay it over.

Seriously, why did you leave the registrar's office until you had the president of the university in there?
I called in since it's quite a travel there. Not in the position to just run there on the spot today (but don't think I'm taking the issue lightly therefore). I'm heading over tomorrow, with a check and credit card.

Henry: I agree. Looking back at my ridiculous struggle to retake the Math class, this school seems to throw "oh well, I can't do anything". I wish I did a screen print of the frame to save the image of the attempt to pay. Major is (or, not to sound dramatic, "was") mechanical engineering. I did keep my mind open for other things, but at the same time I've been thinking "I'd only change over because I'm literally giving up on my current major".

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Many schools now have a student advocates office. Look into it and go see someone there.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
First off, a word of support. While the details vary a bit, therewere moments like this in my time at school, so I feel ya.

Second, HTFU. One function of going to university - especially a stats school - is to lean how to deal with the bureaucratic crap sandwich that will inevitably define much of your working career. They mean to try to break you in petty, capricious ways.

It may suck. It may cost you money, time, and patience. But find your way through it, and it will be a more valuable lesson than all of your coursework combined.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,750 Posts
Ventruck said:
Quizzes in the failed class demanded paragraph answers, and led to the failure of the majority of the students in that class.
You can't re-take classes to wipe out Fails? I think we were allowed one or two perhaps.

I dropped one summer class I wasn't doing too well in. Problem solved.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GirchyGirchy said:
You can't re-take classes to wipe out Fails? I think we were allowed one or two perhaps.

I dropped one summer class I wasn't doing too well in. Problem solved.
There is a "renewal" program. The "F" will exist in record, but the GPA will be adjusted. However...

There are apparently two renditions of this same Calculus class - main difference being that one's spread more through the week with shorter periods. My re-take was this class whereas the initial failure took place in the other "rendition". Reason being was that it was over a year since I've gotten ANY chance of taking the class so I had more to lose if I passed it up.

As a consequence, my GPA wasn't adjusted. Considered arguing this as well, although it'll all stem to me trying to convince whoever that my initial failure was largely due to the teacher - and knowing how many people abusively wore that out as an excuse for any class they fail, that'll be hard to argue.

And I've looked to taking the class in a community college. Again, crap stacked against me with community college's right enrollment, so my class registration priority was dead last and no spaces were available. There's that and the lack of insurance that the credits would be transferable.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
Ventruck said:
There is a "renewal" program. The "F" will exist in record, but the GPA will be adjusted. However...

There are apparently two renditions of this same Calculus class - main difference being that one's spread more through the week with shorter periods. My re-take was this class whereas the initial failure took place in the other "rendition". Reason being was that it was over a year since I've gotten ANY chance of taking the class so I had more to lose if I passed it up.

As a consequence, my GPA wasn't adjusted. Considered arguing this as well, although it'll all stem to me trying to convince whoever that my initial failure was largely due to the teacher - and knowing how many people abusively wore that out as an excuse for any class they fail, that'll be hard to argue.

And I've looked to taking the class in a community college. Again, crap stacked against me with community college's right enrollment, so my class registration priority was dead last and no spaces were available. There's that and the lack of insurance that the credits would be transferable.
Lots of crap can be stacked against you and yet you can work through it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A happy ending?

Re-approached the server to find ourselves able to drop in a payment. Still a bit ticked that I didn't save the screen of when I couldn't. Could've been of big help in the case I need to argue a point.

And then there's this in their enrollment cancellation policies:

"Continuing Students
-If you are a continuing student and you were disenrolled for nonpayment of fees before school started and you will not be re-adding classes, you do not need to do anything. You will remain in good standing for the following semester

-If you are a continuing student, and you were disenrolled for nonpayment of fees after school started and you will not be re-adding your classes, to stay in good standing for the following semester, you must go to the "R" window located in the Student Services Center and request a Re-Enrollment/Activation Request form and pay the $40 re-enrollment/activation fee to Cashiering Services. If this form is not completed and submitted to the Registrar's Office, you will not be able to attend _____ in the future without reapplying to the university"

So with the payment made now, I'm good....right?

School still starts next week, so I've nailed that point. Not re-adding classes either. But I'm looking to clarify/get the specifics of what "good standing" means with a call in (followed by a trip there with a shovel if that conversation goes wrong). Biggest thing I'm fearing is if they only enroll me in the school but remove my classes to fight for all over again (if that even makes sense/is possible).

Class schedule on my online profile hasn't changed, so hopefully I'm literally in the clear and am understanding/interpreting that quoted text correctly.

And yeah, I still mad.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Good standing probably means not on academic probation, so a GPA of over ~2.00

1 - 20 of 24 Posts