Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tarmac, Roubaix and Allez are the models I see mentioned most often here. Starting to think there's no love for the Secteur line!

:)

Picked up a 2011 Secteur Comp back in August right when they came out. Got red, because it's much faster than the black version. Seen here at Barnegat Lighthouse on northern tip of Long Beach Island (NJ) on it's inaugural ride. I've since added the 105 pedals.

Now that I've got about 700mi on the bike I've gotta say I'm really very happy with my purchase. I also looked at Cannodale Synapse and Trek 2.1/2.3 at the same price point. Rode a Roubaix as well, and tried to justify the extra $800-$1,000 for a similarly equipped model but just couldn't feel the difference.

Most of my riding is in the rolling hills of Somerset County NJ, with some additional riding down the shore. Typical ride is in the 25-40mi range, though I recently did a 66mi ride.

I find the Secteur to be very comfortable on these rides. Perhaps it's placebo effect - or I'd not notice a difference on any other bike - but the carbon seat stays and Zertz inserts seem to do a pretty good job cutting road vibration.

Bought the Secteur as my first venture back into fairly serious recreational cycling after a 25yr or so hiatus, and have to say that the fact that I really like the bike is a big part of what gets me out on the road, even on cold rides like this morning's 6:30am jaunt at 36degrees! Hope to ride through the winter as much as possible, and bought a trainer for when the temp and/or precipitation get to be too much.

My goal for next year is to work my way up to doing the 78mi ride from my house in Somerset County down to our house on Long Beach Island, if only because that was the ride that my high school cycling buddy and I were always threatening to do 30yrs ago, but never got around to.

Who else is riding a Secteur? Come out of the closet - we have nothing to apologize for in the face of our Tarmac and Roubaix riding bretheren!

:aureola:

Reactions: Natedogz

·
Registered
229 Posts
While I do ride an S-Works Tarmac SL2 and a singlespeed Langster, I did rent a Secteur last July in Maui. I rode it around for five days including twice up and down Haleakala. The Secteur is a nice riding bike. I'm a Campy rider, but the Shimano 105 worked OK. The Secteur felt a little heavier than I would have expected, but I think the wheels were pretty heavy. The bike was very stable descending.

You don't have to spend a ton to get a nice bike, and I would recommend the Secteur to anyone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked up the 2010 Secteur Triple last week at my LBS for the Black Friday price of $480. WooHoo! At that price, I'm considering getting an SRAM Apex gruppo off of Ebay for another $400 or so and then just swapping everything out.

Anyhow, the weather here has been awful, but I have been getting some riding in. I'm pleased with the Secteur so far. Hopefully we'll have a good January thaw so I can get some more miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had a beloved 2010 Secteur Elite Triple stolen from a previously 0 crime guarded bike rack at my workplace (and they bypassed the unlocked Dura-Ace Litespeed next to me...yeah we idiots trusted each other THAT much).

In the 6 months and 1500 miles I had it (30 yrs, 175lbs), I found it to be a responsive athletic insturment. It commuted well, actually time-trialed well because of the excellent climbing ability, but especially let me eat long sets of miles with lots of gain and still be able to hit the jets at the end. Sometimes I found it almost TOO stable at speed, but more often than not this was a stress-reducer over long rides and while going down extended declines. The 105 triple was a bit cumbersome up front, but fluidly moved through cogs and let me dial in my 100rpm just right.

It also dropped a LOT of Roubaixs and Tarmacs during group rides....not that it matters (but not my buddy's Softride.....hard to drop that guy doing anything).

Unless a miracle happens and I get my bike back, I'm looking at a 2011 Secteur Comp with my insurance payment. I'd consider a Roubaix, except that between the SRAM and Shimano shifting systems, I really prefer the Shimano, and in particular the 105 as I can replace parts with Ultegra and Dura Ace as they wear out. Not really able to pay the extra for a Roubaix so equipped. Lots of diverse opinions on that.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
I have a Secteur Sport. Seems like a great bike but I do not have a Tom to compare it to. Recently upgraded the tires and it seems much faster but much less stable. Or it could just be me.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I picked up a Secteur Elite Apex over memorial week end and absolutely love it. This is my first true road bike so I don't have a lot to compare it to. I haven't been able to ride a road bike before because of back pain with this new geometry I have had no issues. I did a 40 mile ride a week after I got it and the only thing that hurt was my poor out of shape legs. I am looking forward to many more miles.

SS-

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought an '11 Secteur as my first road bike and I love it! But, it is my first road bike and nothing to compare it too. Always been solid on a ride. I'm very happy with it. Not sure if it's worth ever getting a carbon frame (Roubaix) from reading some of the problems people seem to have with carbon.

I'm not sure why the Secteur doesn't get more love. Seems to be Specialized's unknown bike for some reason.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am highly considering buying the 2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Apex very soon. I don't want to spring the cash for the Roubaix level bikes...I like it because it is setup with a taller head and a more upright riding position (thus more comfortable). I'm not a racer and would rather be comfortable at this point and get the enjoyment out of riding. I also have nerve issues in my right hand, so I hope that keeping pressure off my hands as much as possiable will help.

Before I buy though, what bikes are in direct competition with the 2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Apex? Should I look at anything else?

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
I am highly considering buying the 2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Apex very soon. I don't want to spring the cash for the Roubaix level bikes...I like it because it is setup with a taller head and a more upright riding position (thus more comfortable). I'm not a racer and would rather be comfortable at this point and get the enjoyment out of riding. I also have nerve issues in my right hand, so I hope that keeping pressure off my hands as much as possiable will help.

Before I buy though, what bikes are in direct competition with the 2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Apex? Should I look at anything else?
The Giant Defy line is most comparable IMO. If the LBS had them I might have gone that route. I think Giant gives more bang for the buck than anyone. But the Secteur is great.

Felt and Jamis have similar too. I think Jamis is the Endura line.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should check out the 2011 Allez Comp with Apex. Geometry is exactly the same as a tarmac, so it is more of an aggressive/faster type of ride. It's an AWESOME bike!!!
Hmmm... did you read the post to which you were replying?

:aureola:

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
I'm considering recommending the Secteur to my friend. I can't see great differences between it and the Allez, which I see has the zertz in the fork. Even on the Spec site it's hard to tell.
The Secteur has Zertz in all but the base model. The Secteur is more upright. More comfortable and suitable to less ideal surfaces. The Allez is a base race bike. The Secteur is a base plush bike.

Basically the Secteur is an alloy version of the Roubaix and the Allez is alloy version of the Tarmac.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the Secteur apex elite 61cm end of march and I've been having a blast - prob about 2000 miles so far.

One thing I'd say - and this could be my fault, the SRAM Apex shifting has turned to crap. I've fallen several times and the bike got banged pretty hard and I definitely need either a tune up or some new parts. Was hoping it'd be more durable but still works nonetheless just have to use different gears till I bring to the LBS.

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
I bought the Secteur apex elite 61cm end of march and I've been having a blast - prob about 2000 miles so far.

One thing I'd say - and this could be my fault, the SRAM Apex shifting has turned to crap. I've fallen several times and the bike got banged pretty hard and I definitely need either a tune up or some new parts. Was hoping it'd be more durable but still works nonetheless just have to use different gears till I bring to the LBS.
I crashed mine twice. Severely. Bike has 3 little scratches. Tough as nails.

I just got a new bike so I will be "curious" though to see how that affects it's resale.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.