Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, got the opportunity to go do a ride when I got off work last night. How EXCITING! I get to go when the kids are still up (which I usually feel a bit guilty about but didn't last night), and I don't even have to take a light.

Mile 6 - I noticed my front getting a little squishy. Stop, check, everything seems okay. Go another 50 yards and it's time to change my tube. Normally, this isn't a big deal for me. I can change a tube like faster than Jeff Gordon's pit crew; but I was riding my SS which ins't quick release. No biggie, got the tool, changed the tire, started putting air in and I couldn't get my blasted (used another name last night) bead to seal. It kept popping out. I'd had this problem in the past (not the same tires), so I wasn't too concerned - simply let out some air, sealed it, put more air in. Then it did the same frickin thing in another area, then another. Long story short, my tires aren't that used, I'm just apparently a moron; as I ran out of CO2 prior to figuring out how to fix this.

Tried to call the wife, I was in a valley and couldn't get reception. Ride my 1/4 aired tire a mile up the road to call the wife again (yes, I wanted to ride home but I changed my mind after that mile). She came, picked me up, I was miffed, screwed my night up, which just went along with my entire day. Got home, got a work call, stayed up working on it - ended up finding that I did have some vodka and OJ and at least salvaged a bit of my evening. (Kids, don't try this at home).

So what do I do? I'm gonna tell you what I'm going to do. I have 2 thorn resistant tubes that are going on that bike tonight. Yes, they weigh more than my wheelset does. Yes, I'm aware that this possibly means that they'll need to be trued more often; but I CAN NOT STAND it when my ride comes to an abrupt end before I'm even warmed up due to a mechanical issue.

If this would have been a morning ride, I'd have wept.

·
Registered
6 Posts
you could compare the weight of the two tubes vs. a nice frame pump; either approach would save you.
good luck!

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I love stories like this. Makes up for all the times I've been told I'm a dinosaur because I carry a frame-fit Zefal. In almost 20 years, that sucker never once has run out of air.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,,,,

where the heck were you last night? I could have used you and the dinosaur.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yep I have a frame fit Zefal had someone ask me once why I carried such a large pump.. I said so I can actually pump a tire to 110 PSI

Kind of funny in a strange way - not to blast the OP.. CO2 has its place and I use it in MTB races but I also carry a hand pump just in case the CO2 is just much faster so when time matters it is a better option

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
1. as others advised, get a pump. IMHO, for 90% of the people who use them CO2 cartridges are an expensive affectation, more trouble than they're worth.

2. How is a thornproof tube going to fix a mis-matched tire and rim that results in difficult seating?

3. If you don't know what caused the flat (maybe you do, but you didn't say), why are you so sure a thicker tube will help?

4. There are no guarantees in this business. You can still get a flat, no matter what you do.

5. don't let it get to you. Sh*t happens ;-)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JCavilia said:
1. as others advised, get a pump. IMHO, for 90% of the people who use them CO2 cartridges are an expensive affectation, more trouble than they're worth.

2. How is a thornproof tube going to fix a mis-matched tire and rim that results in difficult seating?

3. If you don't know what caused the flat (maybe you do, but you didn't say), why are you so sure a thicker tube will help?

4. There are no guarantees in this business. You can still get a flat, no matter what you do.

5. don't let it get to you. Sh*t happens ;-)
Here's my thought process.
The thornproof tubes are substantially thicker. I'm not exactly sure what I ran over; I'm sure it was just debris on the side of the road. (Nothing in the tire that I could see/feel.) However, these tubes are extremely hard to puncture in the first place, hence the idea of lowering any chances for an initial flat.

You're right, it happens. I was just miffed that it happened to me when it seemed the stars were aligned; but maybe it saved me from some aggrevation down the road? Who knows.

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
I've known people to use tire liners, thorn tubes, and slime in the same tire. Heavy as lead, but I guess they can worry less about flats.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
I ride my Mavic Ksyriums, without rim tape, using lighweight tubes.

I haven't had a flat in 5 years.

why ?

I look where I am going and avoid debris on the road.

simple.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Salsa_Lover said:

why ?

simple.
your 5 year run will no doubt now come to an end now!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Salsa_Lover said:

why ?

simple.
I bet you don't ride in Albuquerque NM otherwise you would HAVE to use some type of sealant/liner/thick tube/durable tire. When I was in Austin I had one flat about every 10,000 miles. In Albuquerque most people can go about 100 miles or less before the goatheads get them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Trte_003_lhp.jpg

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
cough, cough

stan's

cough, cough

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I feel your pain, brother. My worst flat experience was getting no more than 4 miles from my house when I got two flats thanks to assheads who like to break bottles in the roads. So, I fixed the flats, yet forgot to check the tires for fragments. :mad2: I ended up flatting another 300 feet down the road on the rear, and then another mile from there on the front. At that point, I was out of spare tubes, so I had the wife come and bring me five tubes.

Since then, I’ve moved away from lightweight tires and tubes, and am using those kevlar tire liner thingies along with a Continental Gatorskin at the rear. If anything the heavier rotating mass equals a better workout.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Salsa_Lover said:

why ?

simple.
I hereby deem all of my flat demons upon Salsa Lover.

As my friend Wyatt Earp once proclaimed: "You tell them I'm coming. I'm coming, and hells coming with me!"
That, Mr. Salsa, is the Flat Gods coming to pay you a visit. Oh ye of smug riding ability. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
603 Posts
I love these stories! Every time there's a "pump vs. CO2" thread there's always a bunch of people who vigorously insist that one or two CO2 cartridges is as much as you'll *ever* need, and I'm an idiot for being paranoid about running out of CO2, etc etc.

These thread always remind me that I'm right, and they're wrong. Hahahaha.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
solid tires

OK, If you really really don't want to get any more flats, get solid tires. don't look to me for any recommendations as far as ride quality goes but you will not, definitely, positively ever get a flat. it will be impossible. Buy these and install them after you go to the dentist to make sure all your fillings are really in there tight.
http://www.nu-teck.com/

·
Registered
217 Posts
upstateSC-rider said:
cough, cough

stan's

cough, cough

Ditto. Especially with a non release SS. This stuff works. Get the jug, the hypodermic, tubes with removable stems and you will not regret it. Regular tubes(not lightweights) and Soma Everwear tires-I have 2 seasons and no flats. And yes we have goatheads here. There is a life beyond flats. :)

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Salsa_Lover said:

why ?

simple.
Oh pulleeeese,
everyone looks where they're going and avoids debris. Most of the stuff that causes flats simply can't be seen without a magnifying glass

1 - 20 of 33 Posts