Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
building my engine
163 Posts
I certainly do hope that by transporting the bike inside your car saves you lots of money this summer.

·
I used to wave
417 Posts
My Focus wagon without a rack, can get 34 mpg on the highway. 32ish with it(no little front spoiler). Add a bike and it drops to 27mpg just like that. I was surprised at the diff.s.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you really want to save money on gas draft behind a large bus when driving. One of those large interstate type buses. You don't really have to stay that close either. About a month ago I was coming home from a science contest my son competed in. His team was traveling in bus and I a car. I wasn't that familiar with the way home and I was borderline if I could make it home without stopping for gas. So after about 10 miles I started drafting behind the bus. About 2wo car lengths. My car has a computer that tells how many MPH you are getting. Usually my SUV gets only about 18-19 mph on the highway and when I was drafting I was getting around 24-25 mpg which is a big savings.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds Good....

geraldatwork said:
I I wasn't that familiar with the way home and I was borderline if I could make it home without stopping for gas. So after about 10 miles I started drafting behind the bus. .
Did you take a pull? :)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I keep the roof rack on my car but choose to ride instead of drive when feasible. Work commutes and grocery trips on the bike are becoming more common for me.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Crank-a-Roo said:
After 10 years, my roof rack came off the car today. The price at the gas pumps is just getting too high. From now on, the bike is going inside the car.
What does the price have to fall to for you to put it back on?

·
Registered
543 Posts
jtolleson said:
Yeah, Wheelsucker. Do your share of the work! :D
Around my bike club I am known as a weeksucker. How did you know. Actually it is true about saving a lot of gas. There must be some way of putting this to use. In auto racing they do it all of the time.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
I also no longer have a roof rack.

Car dealer ran it thru their wash without asking me if it would be a problem
and destroyed the rack.

After that my mileage went for the better and since I'm sometimes driving
up to 1500 miles a month haven't re-installed.

·
Registered
438 Posts
mohair_chair said:
What does the price have to fall to for you to put it back on?
just what i was thinking...

I love the behaviour that comes from sticker shock at the pump. SO many things you can do to reduce gas consumption and money besides removing a roofrack.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just bought a Honda Fit. I currently have a Yakima roof rack but Yakima doesn't yet have q-clips available for the Fit. So, I had to devise another way to haul the bike around. Luckily the Fit has a ton of interior space since the rear seats fold flat with the rear cargo area.

I bought a piece of MDF, some allweather carpeting and a Pyramid brand fork mount. I mounted the fork mount and one of my Yakima wheel carriers to the MDF and this is the result.

I have yet the drive around with the apparatus installed and loaded. My only worry is that it may slide around a bit. I think I may add some rubber feet to the four corners if sliding is an issue. Pardon the newspaper. I put it down since some of the carpet glue was still tacky when I did the test fit.

·
Martini time?
206 Posts
bung said:
I just bought a Honda Fit...QUOTE]

I never heard of that model before- googled it- it looks like a Matrix to me. I have an xB and I like the more rounded looks of the Fit. Can't beat the interior space in these little cars though. What kind of mileage are you getting? I get 30 mpg no matter where or how I drive in the Scion.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
I am right behind you with the Fit. It looks fantastic. Comes loaded. All sorts of space in a tiny car. Fantastic experience with it in the rest of the world. Just give me a few weeks.

Thread hijack off.

·
Registered
438 Posts
bung said:
I just bought a Honda Fit. I currently have a Yakima roof rack but Yakima doesn't yet have q-clips available for the Fit. So, I had to devise another way to haul the bike around. Luckily the Fit has a ton of interior space since the rear seats fold flat with the rear cargo area.

I bought a piece of MDF, some allweather carpeting and a Pyramid brand fork mount. I mounted the fork mount and one of my Yakima wheel carriers to the MDF and this is the result.

I have yet the drive around with the apparatus installed and loaded. My only worry is that it may slide around a bit. I think I may add some rubber feet to the four corners if sliding is an issue. Pardon the newspaper. I put it down since some of the carpet glue was still tacky when I did the test fit.

what's MDF?

OK, this is my next car... i think this is an Independent Fabrications inside to show off how tall it is...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Please give us some feedback after your first test ride (with the bike loaded). I really like your custom setup and I'm looking to purchase a Honda Fit (Sport).

Great car with plenty of cargo space.

What is your saddle height ? I just want to see if I could clear the roof with my bike.

·
Registered
137 Posts
geraldatwork said:
If you really want to save money on gas draft behind a large bus when driving. One of those large interstate type buses. You don't really have to stay that close either. About a month ago I was coming home from a science contest my son competed in. His team was traveling in bus and I a car. I wasn't that familiar with the way home and I was borderline if I could make it home without stopping for gas. So after about 10 miles I started drafting behind the bus. About 2wo car lengths. My car has a computer that tells how many MPH you are getting. Usually my SUV gets only about 18-19 mph on the highway and when I was drafting I was getting around 24-25 mpg which is a big savings.
No, if you really want to save on fuel costs, drive more slowly.

I heard on the news this morning that driving 65mph instead of 75mph saves 18% on fuel. Driving 55mph? 25% fuel reduction. Hop in the slow lane, folks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here are some interior dimensions. These are all based on the front seat positions I use (I'm 5'10").

With the rear seats flat you have 39" from floor to ceiling, 58" from the rear of the cargo area to the backs of the front seats, 52" between the rear doors and 40" between the rear shock towers.

With the rear seats in tall mode (rear seat bottoms folded up to the rear seat backs) you have 49" from floor to ceiling, 52" between rear doors and 22" from the rear seat bottoms to the front seat backs.

The rear opening at the widest points is 42" wide by 30.5" tall.

My bike (54cm) measures 35" from floor to saddle with the front wheel removed.

*ETA* Here are all of the different seat configurations for those interested.

Sorry for the hijack Crank-A-Roo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts