Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cyclingnews live reports just posted that saunier duval quit tdf on mass after riccys +ve test for a new form of epo. ouch

· Banned
608 Posts
philippec said:
News here is that there could be more arrests/searches on the way - Gendarmes are blocking the SD cars and buses from high-tailing it to Spain.
This could be the Festina affair all over again.

Then again, since Mircera/CERA only has to be taken once a month, perhaps Ricco and crew did not need to bring any with them. Still there has to be a good chance of various recovery products being found.

· Banned
608 Posts
ilan said:
It's so great to live in France where the police is busy doing such important work!

-ilan
They don't have a relentless bunch of crusaders protecting the rights of dopers like we have in the Trust But Never Verify website. :D

· Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Well, on a different note, wasn't this whole year supposed to resurrect the image of cycling after the previous dope scandals? What does this do the the Tour's image now?

· Registered
638 Posts
I would just like to say +1 for tasering Ricco. When I woke up and heard the news it felt terrible. In fact it felt just like when my Rainbow6 Vegas2 game freezes 4 hours deep into a playing session.... its like wtf, I didnt deserve this... I was so happy for saunier duval that they were having a great year and now they all take off which tells me that more of them were using as well. I mean seriously, if I was a cyclist that was fortunate enough to be in the TDF and a teammate got caught doping Id say screw him as I stepped on my bike and continued the tour. I just cant believe that a team of innocent and clean riders would just suck up their year and walk out. Especially with that 1st/2nd place stage win and the fact that with ricco gone Saunier Duval would have still had the polka dot jersey. What a crock of sh[te.... were they all doped up?..... I just dont get it... what makes them think they'll get away with it? This feels just as bad as when vino got busted... here we are enjoying the biggest tour of our sport and cheering somebody on as they are having a great ride and then we all feel like douchebags because theyre busted cheating. I guess the only option left to clean up the sport is to test every rider before and after the tour as well as every stage winner after the stage. they should probably conduct daily searches of busses and rooms as well. This is getting really sad, something has to finally be done. At least if Ricco gets tasered VS will have a great commercial for next year.

G

·
akrafty1 said:
Imagine how it would look if Astana had been invited....

I feel sick to my stomach. I say instant life time bans are in order, that is if they want to get serious about the issue.
Criminal prosecution has to be the way to go. The race was in France, so I imagine Ricco, et al, will be subject to France's beefed up sporting fraud statues.

· Registered
183 Posts
You know what bothers me..... the fact that I am going to have to explain to God-knows-how-many-people about how cycling, as a cohesive sport, is not nearly as tainted as, say, American-Football, or Baseball, or even freaking Basketball!! I agree with Pudhomme who at least is trying to look at the abundance of +s in this year's race as a sign that the doping controls are working effectively. It just pisses me off when I have to listen to people ramble on, with no educational perspective on cycling or remote knowledge of the sport (most of the people I talk to start talking about how cyclists take steroids - like Arnold... give me a break), and eventually make presumptive judgments about the riders. Cycling is no more of a dirty sport than any Americanized sport! Freaking Shawn Merriman of the Sand Diego Chargers, one of the leagues HUGE superstars, TESTS POSTIVE FOR STEROIDS, and wait, here comes the awesome part, gets a 4 GAME suspension!!! Oh, and let’s not forget that he didn’t get to go to the beloved Pro Bowl… like that’s really a game anyway. WOW! Those are some pretty harsh punishments (sarcasm)! wtf. At least riders in the pro peloton who dope are gambling with a sizable chunk of their careers (2-4 years+)... I don't know, I just needed to vent. More than anything else, I find it infuriating the way the American media covers cycling and makes it sound like cyclists are the biggest sporting cheats in the world. The only reason guys are getting caught is because the doping controls in cycling are 10 or 15 YEARS more sophisticated and stringent than baseball or football (complete jokes in my opinion)... Whatever, this news about Ricco isn't surprising. How many time did the Versus commentators say "We had barely ever said his name before this year and now he's placed second in the Giro and has gobbled up two glorious stage wins in Le Tour... the next Pantani... he'll make it 4 stages by the end of the three weeks... blah, blah, blah"?? That should have been a decent sign that something was up....... Other sports need to get real. S**t, Roger Clemens will probably be pitching again by next season!

· Bone idle wanker
746 Posts
+1 on that post, ECXkid04! Plus, when a guy like VdV is doing the ride of his life, there comes a little voice in my head now because of all of these cheaters.

· Banned
608 Posts
The Tedinator said:
+1 on that post, ECXkid04! Plus, when a guy like VdV is doing the ride of his life, there comes a little voice in my head now because of all of these cheaters.
If I remember right, Decanio did call out Vande Velde...

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
If I remember right, Decanio did call out Vande Velde...
And he rode for Saiz too, no?

Really the only reason to think VdV is clean is because of the rhetoric of Vaughters and his team. When you consider he is doing an exceptional ride unlike anything he's ever done in the past, it has to raise some suspicion beyond the normal.

Good for him if he gets thru the whole race and gets a good result, but I wouldn't be surprised if he came up positive.

· Registered
5,671 Posts
if VDV returns a positive it would be a huge blow for the idea that a team can self-police with an independent testing agency like ACE. It would also undermine the idea that monitoring the effects of doping rather than looking for the specific markers of doping products is an effective method. With Millar a part owner of the team, I sure hope he pulled guys aside at the start of the year and threatened to kick their ass if they doped on his team....

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Maybe VDV is having the ride of his life because more of the pelaton is back down on his level this year. Certainly there are riders who are not performing as expected. Maybe there are fewer dopers. There does not seam to be as much super human performance. And the few riders that have displayed it are getting busted.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.