Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I have a question regarding fit on a mountain bike, is it the same as a road bike?....as in approx. KOP and 15 to 20 degree bend in the knee?

I have raised my saddle 3 times but lowered it a bit after the 3rd because i was def hyper extended.

NO...I am NOT going to general or MBR...I live in the lounge

Just trying to get dialed in on my new toy...I'm close but I was just wondering.....maybe Catzilla could chime in...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I have a FEW road bikes so I know what feels good there. I was just wondering if it was similar or dramatically different (so I have a starting point)

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
well I have a FEW road bikes so I know what feels good there. I was just wondering if it was similar or dramatically different (so I have a starting point)
As good a starting point as any. You'll probably end up with it a little lower - both to make a dab easier, and to lower the CG for stability in the descents.

At least that's how I understand it. I'm a long way from knowing anything about the muddy stuff, though.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,088 Posts
There's nowhere near the amount of sizing variance in MTB's...most frames come in small, medium, large, and Xl; just like the Cokes at McDonald's. There's no 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64cm frame sizes. That, and between brands, any given size can feel drastically different...my girlfriend's bike and mine are both 19.5" (large) frames, and hers is a lot more upright than mine. So, there's a lot of variance in sizing MTB's...like Girch said, it's how you feel comfortable.

A good rule of thumb for seat adjustment on a MTB is right around your hip bone...although I find that a little too high, so I go a little lower.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok....so I have a pretty good hill on one side of my house and if I get up on the pedals, I can feel the front end unweighting and almost lifting off the ground. This makes me a touch nervous as I had a flat bar cross bike that I had the front end come up and over my head on a PAVED trail at Weston Bend Park in MO?.....I ended up going down pretty hard. (fwiw, I rode back down and did it again, the right way)

Just curious......

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,088 Posts
ok....so I have a pretty good hill on one side of my house and if I get up on the pedals, I can feel the front end unweighting and almost lifting off the ground. This makes me a touch nervous as I had a flat bar cross bike that I had the front end come up and over my head on a PAVED trail at Weston Bend Park in MO?.....I ended up going down pretty hard. (fwiw, I rode back down and did it again, the right way)

Just curious......
I normally stay seated as much as I can on climbs. Give that a shot!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah..I figure that out, gearing with a 30/28 is WAY lower than my road bike!!!!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as an aside, does a glass beer bottle fit in a standard bottle cage?

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,088 Posts
Yes, but it's not very secure. A Gatorade bottle will fit with a little wrangling; a Coke or Pepsi bottle will fit pretty nicely, but will go flat from all the bumps and vibrations; and a sub sammich won't stay in a bottle cage.

·
What it is
705 Posts
KOP is worthless - just set it up how you feel comfortable.
I wouldn't say worthless because it is one person-machine match that approximately translates across the two types of bikes. A related issue is the shorter crank-arm length. I always feel "constricted" when I go from a road bike crank set to a mtb crank set. (And I end up raising my saddle to get the subjectively-proper leg extension.)

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
ok, I have a question regarding fit on a mountain bike, is it the same as a road bike?....as in approx. KOP and 15 to 20 degree bend in the knee?

I have raised my saddle 3 times but lowered it a bit after the 3rd because i was def hyper extended.

NO...I am NOT going to general or MBR...I live in the lounge

Just trying to get dialed in on my new toy...I'm close but I was just wondering.....maybe Catzilla could chime in...
This ^^^^^^ is why that bike only cost $7. It's HAUNTED.

Note - I pretty much ignore KOP on my MTB, set the saddle on the center of the rails and put the height the same as my road bikes. I've never rolled backwards down a hill.

·
What it is
705 Posts
You might try something about the size of a Red Stripe.

A friend gave me a coconut-flavored beer from Hawaii. It only came in cans--to avoid broken glass issues on the beach. The combo sounds horrible but was actually pretty tasty--not incredibly sweet. Cans look like they would be pretty secure in a bottle cage. And Guiness comes in cans.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
For me it also depends on the difficulty of the trail. If I'm out cruising easy fire roads my set up is about the same as my road bike. But on a more technical trail I'll set the saddle lower.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I normally stay seated as much as I can on climbs. Give that a shot!
That and twist your wrists downward on the climb. It forces you to put a little more weight to the front.

Disclaimer: I am not nor have I ever been a good mountain bike rider. I just remember things people kept yelling at me. Maybe.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Just make sure that the saddle is level and that the tires are inflated to at least 120PSI.

Reactions: Creakyknees

·
Frog Whisperer
40,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so is that why the seatpost on the mountain bike has a QR on it, so I can move it around for conditions?

Terry naw, don't think it's haunted....if I spend some money on it will it get better? I'm gonna get new grips and a bottle cage.....that'll get the total up to20 bucks maybe?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts