Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Specialized is brand name more ppl can afford. I think S-works is less recognizable to the non cycling public

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I was thinking they probably are S-Works level bikes re-branded for name recognition.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Yes, I was thinking they probably are S-Works level bikes re-branded for name recognition.
Probably not name recognition so much as the IOC's arcane rules on branding.

In the past at the Olympics bikes had to have sponsor/manufacturer names covered up. Seems IOC decided to quit doing that this go round, so long as it is an equipment manufacturer, not a manufacturer branding.

·
Registered
760 Posts
https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/specialized-canyon-scott-merida-produce-custom-painted-bikes-rio-2016-olympic-games.html

View attachment 315577

<section class="o-section o-section--2 " id="">"Specialized have gone one step further that the standard custom paintjob and developed a scheme which changes colour from red to yellow when the temperature hits 22 degrees, the average daily temperature in Rio in August. You can see how it works in the video below, from Namibia rider Dan Craven.

<aside class="c-article-body__aside c-article-body__aside--right">
</aside>

</section>The paintjob has been applied to the three bikes to be used by Specialized riders at the Olympics: the Tarmac road bike to be used on Saturday by the likes of Dan Martin and Vincenzo Nibali, the Amira road bike to be ridden on Sunday by Lizzie Armitstead, and the Epic FSR mountain bike to be used by Peter Sagan when he swaps the road for dirt to contest the cross-country race on Sunday August 21."

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The IOC is a bunch of insane people who want to micromanage every particular piece of branding around the Olympics (see people required to use hash tags on twitter, instagram, etc) and as such they limit the manufacturers to a single logo per side of the bike. Hence Specialized put Specialized instead of the specific model S-Works.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/specialized-canyon-scott-merida-produce-custom-painted-bikes-rio-2016-olympic-games.html

View attachment 315577

<section class="o-section o-section--2 " id="">"Specialized have gone one step further that the standard custom paintjob and developed a scheme which changes colour from red to yellow when the temperature hits 22 degrees, the average daily temperature in Rio in August. You can see how it works in the video below, from Namibia rider Dan Craven.

<aside class="c-article-body__aside c-article-body__aside--right">
</aside>

</section>The paintjob has been applied to the three bikes to be used by Specialized riders at the Olympics: the Tarmac road bike to be used on Saturday by the likes of Dan Martin and Vincenzo Nibali, the Amira road bike to be ridden on Sunday by Lizzie Armitstead, and the Epic FSR mountain bike to be used by Peter Sagan when he swaps the road for dirt to contest the cross-country race on Sunday August 21."
I gotta say... that's kinda cool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts