Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,210 Posts
tgiboney said:
Okay gang starting to commute and was wondering what all of you do when there is no shower?
Ride slow on the way to work so as not to get all lathered up, use handiwipes/babywipes or something similar to wipe down. That seems to be a common way to do it.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
How much do you sweat?

That's probably the biggest determining factor. I sweat a normal amount, but I ride with some people who sweat a lot more than I do. The thing is, the more you ride, the faster you will cool down. I've commuted to a client that's 25 miles away and have ridden pretty hard to get there. Once there I change my clothes, rinse off my face and arms, and you could never tell that I'd ridden there.

·
just ride your bike
518 Posts
1. Ride slow. (I know, it's really hard to do!)
2. Leave a can of Axe at work; it's like a shower in a can.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
tgiboney said:
Okay gang starting to commute and was wondering what all of you do when there is no shower?
1. Take a shower before you leave home.

2. Don't ride too hard.

3. Wash up using the sink in the men's room and a towel to rinse the areas that need it.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
tgiboney said:
think Dutch - ride slow

maybe get a big sit up and beg bike with nice fenders to keep you slow

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
As MarkS mentioned, I've heard many people suggest taking a shower right before you leave. Keep the pace low as you ride in. Use baby wipes as much as you can tolerate once you are there. Save the brisk pace for the ride home.

I'm fortunate that I have a shower in my current job location. I also had one at my previous employer. Although it would be an inconvenience, I would still do it without a shower.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Find an empty office

I use a small unmanned office as my superman changing room.

I too shower in the morning. I leave my work clothes at work. When I get to work, I cool down for about 10 min. Then I change my socks and shirt, ect, and put on my uniform. I have baby wipes and deoderant in case I need it. I keep my armpit hair very short, which makes cleaning with baby wipes easier. I have a military hair cut, which I think helps me cool down faster, and I dont have to brush it.

I couldnt imagine having long hair with a helmet on....

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Dress for the weather...

The temperature is usually a little cooler in the morning depending on where you live. I shower at home and tend to dress with light, breathable clothes. This way I don't get too hot and sweaty. This works well until the hottest months of summer (then I usually towel off a little at work).

Ask yourself "how long is your commute?" If it is only 5-10 miles then you'll probably make it to work before you get too sweaty....

·
Registered
156 Posts
With a towel, some soap, and a bathroom sink, I've been able to clean myself up pretty good. For a long time I used the lack of shower as an excuse not to ride. It's no excuse.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
tgiboney said:
I just towel off - new towel every other day.. Lots of AC at work, which helps cooling off.

New clothes everyday.. never stenchy stuff.

I guess I just don't naturally stink like some other people do..

I only shower at night.. Hang your clothes to dry at work.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I sweat and ride hard....

Every time I commute. Wedo have showers but I don't fool with them. I have been at it for a few years now and have found it really is not issue and here is what I do...

1. Take a shower before you leave (I think this may be the best advice.)
2. Once I get in I go into the bathroom (ours is a locker room but would not have to be) I grab a few paper towels and kind of just wipe my face and head off plus a little water for refreshing. That all takes maybe 5 to 7 minutes.
3. I head on into my office in my bike clothes (I avoid spandex for my workers sake generally wear mtn bike shorts or have long riding pants) and turn my computer on etc maybe check som email and give my self another 10 minutes to cool down and stop sweating. Then I change. I don't notice any smell. I feel pretty fresh and no one has ever complained. It works out pretty well.
4. I wear the same shorts home with a new bike shirt.

it took me a while to figure out what worked for me but this seems to be it. I say just make a plan and give it a shot. You will find what works ffor you. For a long time I kept a towel at work but found I did not really need it and it just made for more laundry.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
685 Posts
Just do it

.......you'll be glad you did. I bike to work every day at 14 miles round trip and I love it. There are no showers where I work at either, but that is'nt an issue for me. My locker is the two bottom drawers of a filing cabinet, and in it I keep my clothes, work shoes, deodorant, cologne, and packs of Old Spice refresher towels (those are great). Eventhough I always ride in sweaty, I amaze the people I work with because I can "shine up" like a new penny and look fresh as ever. I work nights and usually carry a back pack that houses my SLA battery for my bike light, and my "nextel" phone, plus whatever clothes I carry. All this works great for me, and it will for you too. All you got to do is just do it.

I always shower before I ride off to work and that makes a big difference on how refreshed you'll still be after you get there. I towel off, cool down, apply the "Old Spice" wipes and fresh cologne, and presto.........ready to face the world. I dont wear lycra either when I ride. Just regular shorts, sleeveless t-shirt, and my "Diadoras" with no socks (my preference).

If I have a problem on the road, break down, or just simply 'punk-out', I'll call my wife and order e-vac. No problem!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts