Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People here bike commute in any weather, which is cool. But I see a lot of people riding in icy conditions with no studs and no helmet. Seems very risky to me. For example, last night we got a bit of ice/sleet and then an inch or so of snow. And it's cold this morning so it's all pretty frozen up. The roads are covered in ice--some of it slick, some of it crunchy. While walking the dogs I saw several people go by on mountain bikes. They had knobbies, but not studs (I'm pretty sure of that) and no helmet on. Made me cringe as I watched them nervously navigate the ice. :eek:

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Look at the bright side- it ought to help with the shortage of donor organs

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
MB1 said:
Well they probably never inflate their tires either.
On that stuff, I don't think I'd want much air in my tires

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Maybe they'd be good candidates for the annual Darwin award.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
2 things

llama31 said:
People here bike commute in any weather, which is cool. But I see a lot of people riding in icy conditions with no studs and no helmet. Seems very risky to me. For example, last night we got a bit of ice/sleet and then an inch or so of snow. And it's cold this morning so it's all pretty frozen up. The roads are covered in ice--some of it slick, some of it crunchy. While walking the dogs I saw several people go by on mountain bikes. They had knobbies, but not studs (I'm pretty sure of that) and no helmet on. Made me cringe as I watched them nervously navigate the ice.
Too smart to wear helmets. Too skilled to need studs. :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yeah, pretty scary. But if you ever want to see more than "several people" who are seriously lacking in the helmet department, check out what the kids are up to at your local skateboard park some time.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
While I always wear a helmet, I have been surprised by snow while at work--- with my studded tires at home. You would be surprised what you can successfully bike through with knobbies.

I have also crashed out on black ice several times-- on either my road bike, or with knobbies (never with my studs)--- always I was riding way too fast and cornering. I have never hit my head.

Just saying--- not everything is as dangerous as it appears.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
People are out on their bicycles instead of their cars, which is all good. You can't expect everyone who uses a bicycle for transportation to be, or become, interested in cycling as much as the average RBR forum participant is. Questioning the intelligence of the helmetless and the studless might make you feel good about your expert self. But if done publicly, it's not helpful in keeping regular people riding their bicycles for transportation. Rather than put up with the verbal abuse ("where's your helmet?"), they go back to their beloved cars.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Early this winter near campus I saw a kid riding a honda scooter with his feet out near the ground like outriggers because he was riding in fresh snow. He was also on his cell phone.

He was not wearing a helmet.

Or gloves.

Or a coat.

People R dum.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
interestingly enough in that photo...it appears that there are vehicular tire track on the sidewalk!!!!!!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
filtersweep said:
Or maybe it was a round trip on a Pugsley.
or two pugsley going the same way.........................

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Would a group of Pugleys be called a Puggle?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts