Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Tight cycling shorts provide the support you need. If you've got underwear on (especially if it's cotton) and you end up with a seam between your butt and the saddle it will wear the skin and let bacteria in. If you take a long/hot enough ride you will end up with saddle sores- nasty.You can get cycling underwear at Nashbar. It's all polyester mesh and doesn't have unnecessary seams.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
No undies. Usually they're cotton. Cotton retains moisture and doesn't dry well, so when you perspire you'll be uncomfortable. The afore mentioned seams can also be a real problem. The longer & farther you ride, the bigger the problem. Assuming you wear cycling shorts, almost all of thhem have some kind of artificial chamois or pad. Try wearing them with no underwear. Who's going to know besides you? And we'll never tell.

Another thing I do regularly is on long rides I apply Vaseline or its generic equivilent to my nether regions before riding. Prevents chafing through lubrication. I know it doesn't sound like it, but it's very comfy. Like I said, unless you tell them, nobody will ever know.

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
Chamois are designed to be ridden by themselves and as the best protection you can have. Cyclists have been riding with some form of Chamois (only) for many decades.

Adding underwear - especially cotton is a less than stellar idea for the above mentioned reason's. Hold's moisture and bacteria etc..

Also if you have two separate materials underneath you while pedaling, they will start to move at different rates creating a natural chafing action on your skin - especially when the wet cotton starts sticking. This is the last thing you want to happen.

The title of the correct post - should be - Underwear Seriously?

·
Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
No undies. Usually they're cotton. Cotton retains moisture and doesn't dry well, so when you perspire you'll be uncomfortable. The afore mentioned seams can also be a real problem. The longer & farther you ride, the bigger the problem. Assuming you wear cycling shorts, almost all of thhem have some kind of artificial chamois or pad. Try wearing them with no underwear. Who's going to know besides you? And we'll never tell.

Another thing I do regularly is on long rides I apply Vaseline or its generic equivilent to my nether regions before riding. Prevents chafing through lubrication. I know it doesn't sound like it, but it's very comfy. Like I said, unless you tell them, nobody will ever know.
I like the "Assos chamois creme." It lubricates, and also has anti-bacterial properties to prevent saddle sores.

·
Registered
89 Posts
go commando!!! That's always been my motto!!! Why is it necessay to have a layer of clothing under a layer of clohing??? Backwhen I first started surfing, boardshort manufactures weren't to good at getting the seams stitched so they didn't cause an instant (and sometimes very brutal) rash... So I wore boxers to prevent the pain. Surf companies quicly began to design boardshorts with better seams and more comfotable materials, so undies became a thing of the past...

Why pay all this money for quick drying, super breatheable, and sweat wicking tights... only to put them on over sweat soaking cotton???

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Go whichever way you want. If you have any chafing with the underwear, try it without and see if it helps. Most people feel that it's more comfortable without underwear.

I rode for years with underwear and had no problems. I now ride without underwear and have no problems. I switched because over the past couple of years I have built up a collection of several pair of shorts and bibs and can use fresh shorts every ride without having to wash every day. If I had only one pair of cycling shorts, and didn't want to wash them after every ride, I'd wear underwear and change THAT after every ride. Several pair of underwear are a lot cheaper than several pair of cycling shorts.

If you do wear undies, buy some synthetic ones made for cycling. I have a couple of different brands and they are designed to avoid chafing with the seams.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess it could depend on what kind of underwear we are talking about. I only wear bikini type.:blush2: They are very thin and have no lengthwise seems. They keep my stuff in place. I think my junk will have too much freedom without my underwear and move around too much.:)

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
edhchoe said:
I guess it could depend on what kind of underwear we are talking about. I only wear bikini type.:blush2: They are very thin and have no lengthwise seems. They keep my stuff in place. I think my junk will have too much freedom without my underwear and move around too much.:)
You're wearing lycra shorts right?

It's simple, you don't wear underwear. It's 100 times more comfortable without underwear.

Your equipment will not be leaving it's home. I would say bike shorts keep things supported as well as any underwear.

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
jsedlak said:
I wear under armor type, tight non-cotton material because the chamois in my shorts is messed up. No problems as of yet.
I know you didn't ask, but I'm telling you anyways. Get some proper bike shorts. Try out a few brands and find some good ones. They'll be better than layering underwear, regardless of material.

The other thing is, how long are you guys riding for? When I first started mountain biking, I would wear underwear with bike shorts. But I also thought that an hour was a long ride.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
SilasCL said:
I know you didn't ask, but I'm telling you anyways. Get some proper bike shorts. Try out a few brands and find some good ones. They'll be better than layering underwear, regardless of material.

The other thing is, how long are you guys riding for? When I first started mountain biking, I would wear underwear with bike shorts. But I also thought that an hour was a long ride.
Thanks for telling me, I am looking into new shorts but haven't decided on exactly what I want just yet. :thumbsup:

Longest ride so far? 3 hours and was okay, but I agree and look forward to ditching my underwears for something that won't chafe (sp?).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.