Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Per cyclingnews.com, TRS got the Giro treatment from the Vuelta, so no Vuelta. A team singularly built for grand tours (definitely not for one-day racing) will end up doing just one grand tour this season.

“We really wanted to ride the Vuelta but we weren’t invited,” RadioShack team spokesman Philippe Maertens told Cyclingnews from the Tour de Suisse. “The organisers said we didn’t have a strong team on a sporting level, that other teams are better. That’s strange because we wanted to send a very strong roster.”

Great, in September we get to watch stronger teams such as Pharma-Lotto and Bbox throw their best horses up the Altos de Covadonga.

· Registered
833 Posts
One can only guess that there was some hardball negotiations going on, such as "Commit to Armstrong riding" or else you're not in. Sounds like Leipheimer could have been a possible Vuelta rider but maybe RS wouldn't commit 100% to that, either.

This really sucks for Tiago Machado.

· Administrator
13,172 Posts
They still hold the Vuelta?

· Registered
204 Posts
Is Radio Shack, excuse me "The Shack", really going to have an interest in sponsoring a Pro Tour team after 2010? Maybe this is harsh but does a company that is trying to rebrand itself really want to be associated with a once champion in his twilight? Just sayin. And I like watching Lance ride.

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
moonmoth said:
This really sucks for Tiago Machado.
It also sucks for Jani Brajkovic (who would likely have been a captain), Chechu Rubiera (who probably won't make the Tour team and this probably would have been his last GT, his home tour also), Levi Leipheimer (another likely Vuelta captain who still hasn't won a GT, now he won't in 2010, and he'll be, what, racing age 36 in 2011?) and Andreas Kloden (I would think Kloden would have done the Vuelta because he hasn't raced much in 2010).

No Tour of Missouri either. September is going to be a LONG month for TRS.

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
I see this as a blessing. Who cares about the Vuelta? Now Radio Shack can dominate these other stage races going on at the same time.

Holland Ladies Tour
Tour de Slovaquie
Kroz Hrvatsku - Tour de Croatie
Tour of Marmara
Tour of Britain
Tour of Bulgaria
Tour de Hokkaido
Kroz Istru / Tour d'Istrie

Imagine the can of whoop-ass TRS could open on Ivaylo Gabrovski at the Tour of Bulgaria. Ivaylo won't even know what hit him.

· Registered
12,083 Posts
Assuming they recovered from Nevada city classics.
mohair_chair said:
I see this as a blessing. Who cares about the Vuelta? Now Radio Shack can dominate these other stage races going on at the same time.

Holland Ladies Tour
Tour de Slovaquie
Kroz Hrvatsku - Tour de Croatie
Tour of Marmara
Tour of Britain
Tour of Bulgaria
Tour de Hokkaido
Kroz Istru / Tour d'Istrie

Imagine the can of whoop-ass TRS could open on Ivaylo Gabrovski at the Tour of Bulgaria. Ivaylo won't even know what hit him.

· Registered
833 Posts
fornaca68 said:
No Tour of Missouri either. September is going to be a LONG month for TRS.
Probably their season is effectively over at the end of July after TdF, as far as stage racing goes. Yeah, there is Tour of Poland (August 1-7) I guess, and Tour of Denmark (August 4-8). One-day classics, too, like Paris-Tours, Lombardia, and San Sebastián that will appeal to some of the RS'ers. But I'm guessing Armstrong, Leipheimer, and Kloden will be MIA after TdF.

That proposed new Tour of Colorado can't come quick enough.

· Lizard King
31 Posts
This is a big mistake on part of the organizers of the Vuelta. JB is already talking about starting a "Team's Union" to speak on part of "All" teams, their selections into races, and the race season structure. I see an organized group coming from this. Like or dislike The Shack, but they are good for cycling and promotion of the sport.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
fab4 said:
Bruyneel actually submitted a strong roster with Levi, Kloden, Horner, and Jani. Four potential winners. Unipublic's reasoning of not good enough is mind boggling.
Well, they're reasoning is quite apparent. After all, Radio Shack is "only" ranked #8 by the UCI.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.