Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK tell me if I'm wrong here or if I'm asking for too much.

I bought my bike from a local guy I've been going to for 15-20 years. I've always supported him, always spent my money with him even when I could get it way cheaper elsewhere.

So last year I got myself a nice little Raleigh beater bike to putt around in. I had to order it, and I was never pleased with the fit at all. So I've been rather ticked about that as I was stuck with it.

Of course soon thereafter he goes out of business. And of course there is a problem with the fork and the crank. Its still under warrantee, so I figure maybe the factory will still honor it. (its obviously not wear and tear or damage)

NOPE. I called today and was basically told I was screwed. I have to go to the next dealer which is too far for me to be able to make the drive reasonably in one day. They won't even let another local dealer make an appraisal.

So am I wrong to be ticked about this? Anyone else gotten screwed by a factory that won't even work with you to make it right?

Anyone got any advise? Getting to the next town is out for sure, its way far away.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
You haven't been screwed by the factory.

You likely didn't even talk to the factory-just their USA customer service operation.

The company has a warranty and has explaned how it works. You have to take the product to an authorized dealer-no doubt as is explained in the owners manual. Fairly common for any product.

What is bad for you is that the local dealer has gone out of business-neither your or the manufacturers fault.

What might work is to call the customer service department back and ask for the sales reps phone # or e-mail. If they don't want to give it out ask if they can give the rep your contact information. See if the rep calls on any shops in your area to sell parts and if so can you drop off the bike there to be inspected on his next visit.

Make sure you have a copy of your sales receipt and keep a copy with the bike.

Good luck.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
What sort of "problem" do you have with the fork and crank? Is it an adjustment or a part failure?

· Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
Why not get the name of the dealer that is too far away and arrange to ship the bike or defective parts to him for warranty service? Raleigh is not the one being unreasonable here. They have a warranty procedure and you are unwilling to take the steps to follow their process.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys,

Some good ideas. I still think I'm screwed. I think my major gripe is the company/customer service won't work with me at all. OH and shipping is going to run $75 each way (already checked) so its not feasible for a bottom of the line crank and bottom of the line fork.

Oh and the crank has two problems, a bash guard failure and an excessively loud creek. Fork is gone when it comes to climbing others tell me its "gone." The bike seriously only has like 200-300 miles on it. Less than a year old. In years past for small stuff like this I'd take it back to my guy, say this isn't right, can you make it right. He'd wave a magical wand I'd come back in a few days and everything would be fine.

Serves me right for trusting him too much. I guess I've gotta learn to work on my own stuff now.

Thanks again.

· Registered
5,525 Posts
somsoc said:
Oh and the crank has two problems, a bash guard failure and an excessively loud creek. Fork is gone when it comes to climbing others tell me its "gone."
As a beater bike, was it new or an old used bike? A bash guard failure AND the fork "gone?" These together sound an awful lot like a crash was involved. If not, can you explain in more detail the characteristics of the fork and bash guard problems?

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a new bike. I literally paid full in advance and was told I'd have it in 3 days. Over a month later I finally got it. Raleigh just took forever in shipping (or the shipping company take your choice.

The bike has never been crashed.

The fork is leaking fluid and when I got uphill its a lot of back and forth action.

The bash guard isn't screwed on but like just held on with tension (sorry don't know how else to describe it) and will always fly off. Yes I should just take it off and be done with it, but that's one of those parts that costs them 25 cents, and they charge $10, why not get it fixed while it should be ya know?

The creek I have no idea how to explain. Its just really loud, and random through the spin. My gut says the chain is fine so I'm assuming something is wrong with the crank or bottom bracket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.