Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 year old daughter ended up invited to a friends lake cabin for the weekend, My wife and I decided to take a No Whine ride. You know....how much further, are we there yet, can we go back now, my legs hurt.........

We started in St. Paul along Summit Ave. Summit Ave is the twin cities former millionaires row. It's where all the 19th century lumber, milling, and railroad barons built their homes. We started on the most western end and proceeded into town. As you head East on Summit the homes start off more modest and more modern on this new end of the Avenue.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After the Summit we jumped on the Gateway Trail to take us to the Races. The Gateway Trail is a bike/ped trail planned to run as a segregated multi use trail from St. Paul to Duluth. It's about half done.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We arrive at the races. I know most of you were probably thinking Bike Race....but sorry no. My daughter is adopted from China. We are a member of an organization called Families With Children From China (FCC). FCC put a team together to compete in St. Paul's annual Dragon Boat Race. What's a Dragon Boat Race you ask? From Wilipedia:
The use of dragon boats for racing and dragons are believed by modern scholars, sinologists and anthropologists to have originated in southern central China more than 2,500 years ago, along the banks of such iconic rivers as the Chang Jiang, also known as Yangtze (that is, during the same era when the games of ancient Greece were being established at Olympia). Dragon boat racing as the basis for annual water rituals and festival celebrations, and for the traditional veneration of the Asian dragon water deity, has been practiced continuously since this period. They first used a "dragon boat" to save a local scholar from drowning in the river and went to save his life. They now honour this feat on (or around) the 5/5 every year (Lunar Calendar).

For racing events, dragon boats are always rigged with decorative Chinese dragon heads and tails and are required to carry a large drum aboard. The standard crew complement of a contemporary dragon boat is around 22, comprising 20 paddlers in pairs facing toward the bow of the boat, 1 drummer or caller at the bow facing toward the paddlers, and 1 steerer or tiller(helm) at the rear of the boat, although for races it is common to have just 18 paddlers.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then it was a pleasant ride home back across Summit Ave. I had to stop by the Capital Grounds and get a bronze guy for MB1. OK, who is it? (The last time I did this MB1 got it in about 5 minutes)

·
Master Bike Mechanic
409 Posts
Charles Lindbergh maybe?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Love the Dragon Boats. We have Dragon Boat races on the Potomac but the teams cheat and use a good helping of college rowers. The boats fly down the river (I think you could actually water ski behind the things).

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Nice report. The races look cool.
I've just found out my nephew is going to try out for crew at his high school in the fall. I'm looking forward to watching his races.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts