Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(picking up where we left off, blossoms and classics...)

Perhaps my favorite car of all time, a late '60s Cadillac Coupe de Ville. The tall fins and chromy bling of the 1950s were replaced with a smoother, subtler, angular form with an agressive, almost sinister stance:

A classic American automotive form - acres and acres of hood, and trunk!

It's true, I'm smitten

The forward stance looks fast even when standing still

So anyway, did I tell you about the Caddi? The symmetry and linear form blow me away!

There probably aren't any gals left viewing this thread, but for those who stuck around I'll try to balance it out with a little greenery (tannery?):

Oops - another knuckle bruiser. Just one photo, I promise...

Blooms gone wild! Even a sprinkler standpipe looks pretty good this morning:

Well that was supposed to be the last photo, 'cause I was running behind and didn't have much time left for grocery shopping. But on the block leading to How's I was reminded why some say this really is "Van City"...

Is this not a bike friendly town or what...

Finally - the destination shot. The new How's is a tad pricey but lots of fine food and the folks there are soooo nice...

Did I mention the parking garage? It's trippy:

Well this truly is it. You know how the rest goes:

Hope your Saturday was as nice and overcast as mine!

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
Groov-oid pics. You're the meisterheimer. Yeah, that Cadillac looks like a Doors song sounds. Where the heck were you? Where the heck is How's?

· N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RIP Jim Morrison

Mapei said:
Groov-oid pics. You're the meisterheimer. Yeah, that Cadillac looks like a Doors song sounds. Where the heck were you? Where the heck is How's?
I'm thinking "Soul Kitchen" cranking at 80 mph going north up the 15 through the Mojave desert on the way to Vegas.

All the urban shots were taken within about 3 blocks of Cahuenga and Chandler in North Hollywood. Then I cruised a couple blocks west on Chandler bike path approaching Lankershim. How's is across the street from the Red Line station, the terminus of the subway in the SF valley. Lots of development in NoHo's "theater district". Hard to see that area gentrifying any time soon, but they're sure trying. I think all the halfway houses will keep that in check!

For those who don't know NoHo, including most of greater Los Angeles, we're separated from "Hollywood" by a mountain range. Which is fine...

· half-fast
7,403 Posts
The unidentified trees in the #1 series look like some kind of Magnolia.

I enjoyed your photos, especially all the old cars. I had a buddy in high school with both a '46 Chev pickup <i>and</i> a '60 Cadillac (his was a 4-door I think). 500-some cid motor, I think also. That was a while back, and my memory is foggy on some stuff. Can you imagine the mileage on that now that gas is no longer 89 cents a gallon?

Nice bike, too.

· N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's all a matter of perspective...

DrRoebuck said:
Cool pix! I <3 Hows. Wish I had one in my 'hood.
I had to look at your comment a few times. "I bosom How's". Can't be. "I bosom How's". Just can't be. Hmmm... "I heart How's". Got it!

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
It's strange how I didn't recognize any of the sights. I spent five years in the 1970's in a single apartment on Oxnard Street, between Vineland and Lankershim. I spent another five years or so in a slightly larger one bedroom apartment on Magnolia Blvd. just west of Laurel Canyon. When I bike commuted to work -- Sherman Oaks to Burbank -- I'd ride Chandler Blvd all the way from Van Nuys Blvd to Pass Avenue. I definitely gotta try How's. And if you haven't yet, you gotta try the Swinging Door Barbecue on Vanowen at Vineland, just west of the gas station on the southwest corner. I raise a glass to your NoHo-ness.

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
ispoke said:
I had to look at your comment a few times. "I bosom How's". Can't be. "I bosom How's". Just can't be. Hmmm... "I heart How's". Got it!
Phew! Glad you worked that out. :thumbsup:

///Mapei, what's cool about How's is they don't stock stuff according to their agreements with distributors, etc. So you find a lot of off-brand and hard-to-find stuff.

· The web is a MUT
1,380 Posts
The pics almost make me want to move back there again, almost.

Years ago I had a '61 Caddy, sometime after that I had a '61 GMC, somewhere inbetween I had a '62 'vette. Got none of that stuff no more. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

· N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mapei said:
It's strange how I didn't recognize any of the sights. ... And if you haven't yet, you gotta try the Swinging Door Barbecue on Vanowen at Vineland, just west of the gas station on the southwest corner. I raise a glass to your NoHo-ness.
Things are changing fast in NoHo, but there's little doubt it will hold its unique edge and cultural mix.

We live a few blocks from the Swinging Door. Compares pretty well to some BBQ I had while living in TX.

Sometimes How's stocks Muir Glen Fire Roast Organic Tomatoes. You will not find a better canned tomato for sauces and especially soups...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.