Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike was riding pretty quietly when I first got it, but had some re-work done to my wheels due to builder error. After I got my bike back I noticed a little clicking coming from the front. The noise seems to be coming from the headset...but it may be an illusion. It clicks when I change bar position or hit bumps. I was thinking a loose headset, but it seems plenty tight. The bars are tight. I took it in to the builder to see if he could find anything... and it took him 10 days to get back to me with, "I think the headset was a little loose and it may be noise from the chain." The noise is still here. I don't want to give up my ride for 10 days for a 2min. solution. I don't think it's the chain, because I hear the noise when I put force on the front end or when I back off to the saddle. Could it be the hoods? Should I just live with it and move on? Any ideas?

Headset: King
Bars: Deda Newton
Gruppo: Ultegra
Wheels: DT R1.1
Hubs: King
Brakes: Shimano BR505-R (disc)

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Really doesn't sound like a wheel problem to me, FWIW.

More likely a headset or stem issue. Make sure that the stem bolts are greased and properly torqued. Hopefully, the headset cups were also greased before installation. Either of these areas can be the source of "tick" sounds, and sometimes they are real bastards to eliminate.

Also, check the frame for cracks (I know it is new).

· Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I used to live in a place where the trails would become very dry and leave a layer of fine dust on everything which would cause all kinds of crazy noises including squeaks form the BB cable guide and clicks from the spoke crossing points. The later is something else you might want to check. . .

Sometimes these noises are hard to get rid of permanently, but once you figure out the cause they they are easier to ignore.

Never hurts to go over everything on a regular basis though. . .

· duh...
9,749 Posts
nipple? I know someone that had an intermittent click/creak under load, that we swore was coming from the bars/headset... did everything suggested and it continued. changed front wheel, gone. changed back, click/creak. lubed nips, gone. give it a try if all else fails

· Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well...after using enough lube to make Elvis' hair jealous... it appears the stem was the culprit. I just really had to lube the screws and torque it down just beyond my comfort zone. A little oil where the bar meets the stem. All gone! Thank 'ya very much...thank 'ya.!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.