Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my bikes runs a 39-53x 13-39 campy. Medium chorus rear der. It is quiet in all gears - even cross chained 53-39, but it makes a grinding sound at 39-29. It works ok, but the noise is annoying. The upper pulley seems to be too close to the cassette. Is there a fix for this that anyone has experience with? Maybe the chain is too long? Thanks in advance...

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
or chain

FatTireFred said:
give the b screw a few turns
That may help, but a too long chain will do it, too, as there may be insufficient tension to pull the pulley away from the large cog.

Check your chain in the 53x29 combo. Unless it's close to maxed on the tension there, I'd remove a link.

Also, check chain tension in the small x small combo. If there is insufficient tension there, you may need to remove a link or so.

I assume you have a long cage rear derailleur?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Both tips worked: I fine tuned the der alignment with the cassette and shortened the chain. No noise. I'm using a chorus alloy medium cage rear derailleur and it works very well with the 13-29.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.