Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Performace rollers I bought in 1991. They make a heck of a noise depending on how close to the side of the drum and how fast you ride.
Anyone got an idea why?
Does anyone sell replacement drums that I can use with the frame I have?
Are they just toast and I should buy new ones?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Get Kreitlers!

You get what you pay for. If you pony up for Kreitlers, you will not be dissapointed. My sis (a racer) has some from 1990 and rides them every winter.

The bearings may be shot, the way the bearings are fit into the drums may be shoddy thus the noise if you ride non-center. Seriously, forget @ trying to get new drums. That's like having a geo metro w/ 150K on it and looking for a new transmission.

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda thought so. I bought them when I was 'just trying' them and didn't want to spend a lot. I've been riding them a few years now with the noise driving me crazy (like I need another excuse not to ride them). I guess I'll need to find room in the budget for new rollers next fall. Thank you!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have the same rollers

I bought mine in late 92 or early 93. Anyway, they devel0ped a real noisy whine as you described. I took the frame apart and exposed the bearing sets on the rollers. After cleaning out all the water from inside the drums (my basement flooded a year ago) I cleaned and re-greased with thick Phil Wood marine grease and reinstalled. Good as new. Purrs like a kitten. I miss the added resistance from the water, though

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
The Carlster said:
Get Kreitlers! You get what you pay for. If you pony up for Kreitlers, you will not be dissapointed.
I'd say that MisJG got what they paid for. 15 years on a pair of rollers is mighty fine considerig how much they went for to begin with. can't remember the exact price, but i got a set from performance that year as well (which i gave away when i moved about 11 years ago). krietlers are great, but they're not the only rollers out there.

MisJG said:
I kinda thought so. I bought them when I was 'just trying' them and didn't want to spend a lot. I've been riding them a few years now with the noise driving me crazy (like I need another excuse not to ride them). I guess I'll need to find room in the budget for new rollers next fall. Thank you!
i've had the pvc rollers that i'm guessing you are referring to, a set of kreitlers (which i still have but need to replace the belt) and a new set of travel trax which are pretty good, especially considering the deal i got them for over xmas. no need to break the bank unless you want to.

G

·
There is really nothing to wear out on a set of rollers.

Either pop the bearings and re pack them with fresh grease ( I do this every year) or replace the bearings with new ones.

If you take one of the bearings to a hardware store or auto parts store you can probably get a full set of barnd new bearings for a couple of bucks. Repacking with grease will cost less than that.

TAkes a few minutes but a heck of a lot cheaper then new rollers.

My Tacx rollers are going on for 20 yrs old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.