Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a decent basic phone. My current one has died and I have a free upgrade available to me (T-mobile).

So anyone have this phone want to give a review?

Or suggest another T-mobile phone?

·
What the Hell is going on
5,155 Posts
Bolo Grubb said:
I am looking for a decent basic phone. My current one has died and I have a free upgrade available to me (T-mobile).

So anyone have this phone want to give a review?

Or suggest another T-mobile phone?
Although the 5310 is slimmer, for some reason I liked the older Nokia 5300 (it feels better in my big hands with sausage like fingers). As an MP3 player they're both really good phones! I think they use the universal mini plug for any earbuds you might use. I have a Motorola RIZR Z3. It's hard to find ear buds that connect to a mini USB hub (FAIL)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I went and looked at it in the store and still can't decide. Too many phones with too many options, most of which I don't need

·
5,155 Posts
Bolo Grubb said:
well I went and looked at it in the store and still can't decide. Too many phones with too many options, most of which I don't need
I don't know about the picture quality of the 5310 but I'm impressed with my 2mpix camera on my RIZR. Video is a nice touch as well. I thought those were "extras" I really didn't need but I found those features quite handy now and then.

As a mp3 player, RIZR is a great phone!

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
I have heard really good stuff about the 5310.

I had the 5300 T-mobile...still do as a back up.

Horrificly bad pictures, but kicks arse as an mp3 and phone.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
teh moreon said:
I have heard really good stuff about the 5310.

I had the 5300 T-mobile...still do as a back up.

Horrificly bad pictures, but kicks arse as an mp3 and phone.
holy carp.

I just looked on ebay and the 5300 is selling for around $200.

hmmm....mine is unlocked, after all.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Man, I'm still in the dark ages and using my 10-year old 3310...

·
5,155 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Man, I'm still in the dark ages and using my 10-year old 3310...
Psssssst. Don't tell anyone but I have Nokia 3395 as a backup. Good solid phone. Nothing fancy schmany.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
JaeP said:
Psssssst. Don't tell anyone but I have Nokia 3395 as a backup. Good solid phone. Nothing fancy schmany.
I know guy who recently told me that he replaces his phone once a year. His phone is modern to say the least, e.g. he has his phone and Outlook syncronised, huge number of features, etc. So, I asked him why the replacement, to which he responded that something is always breaking on these new phones. When I told him that I only call once in a while and send the occasional "I love you" SMS to my wife, he said I was lucky to have such a durable phone. There are certain things that I wish my phone had, such as an MP3 player or a radio, but otherwise, I can't think of a reason to get rid of it. Yes, nothing fancy at all. :)

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Both my wife and my kid have the 5310. It's a really nice phone and is no slouch in the MP3 player category. Battery life isn't bad at all and reception is on par with other super-slim/small phones I've used. Sound quality is quite good on calls and the speakerphone is surprisingly loud. The Nokia software to sync with your PC is free and does a pretty good job of hooking up with Outlook, etc. You don't have to power off to swap microSD cards, which is nice.

The only thing I don't like much is the Nokia interface but that's more because I haven't used a Nokia phone as my phone in 10 years.

Overall, I think the phone is well worth it as just a phone, even more so if you're going to use the music player features. It impressed me enough to buy a second one for my kid.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok I just might get it, since I can get it for free online.

I have a Nokia 6103 that I am using rignt now, but do not really like the screen.

Not sure if I will use the music player but it might be a nice extra.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Look around some are more expensive and some cheaper, check to see if it's new obviously.

teh moreon said:
holy carp.

I just looked on ebay and the 5300 is selling for around $200.

hmmm....mine is unlocked, after all.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
zigurate said:
Look around some are more expensive and some cheaper, check to see if it's new obviously.
Yeah. I was suprised to see them selling for that much..

Made me think aout selling mine, since it's unlocked.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.