Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience installing Nokon cables? I think I have most of it figured out, but for the life of me can't understand what I am suppossed to do with the "telescopic washer". The directions are a bad translation from German and mostly unintelligible on the part about the telescopic washer and connecting the cable to the front derailleur.

Is there a good website with info.?

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
cotocalicyclist said:
Does anyone have experience installing Nokon cables? I think I have most of it figured out, but for the life of me can't understand what I am suppossed to do with the "telescopic washer". The directions are a bad translation from German and mostly unintelligible on the part about the telescopic washer and connecting the cable to the front derailleur.

Is there a good website with info.?
This should help.

Note: IRD no longer make Metawire, since Nokon cited patent infringement, but they are the same thing.

Also, I recommend and use heat shrink tubing over the portion under the bar tape, to maintain tightness and help prevent any corrosion.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cadence90. That helped some, but I don't think the IRD system has the telescopic washer that I am stuck on. From what I can understand, the telescopic washer (TW) goes on the front derailleur cable very near where the cable is clamped to the front derailleur. It is supposed to seal that end of the liner from the elements. This portion of the front derailleur cable gets a lot of spray and dirt from the rear wheel so I imagine it is pretty important to seal the liner there. My guess (and from fooling around with it) is that the rubber TW fits tightly to the cable on one end (this is true) and should loosely cover the plastic liner on the other end to allow for the cable to move relative to the plastic liner.........but there is my problem. That end of the TW is very snug over the liner.

Anyone else have a suggestion? I suppose I could leave out the TW (as IRD depicts in their setup), but clearly Nokon made this piece with a purpose in mind and it seems that sealing the system on that end would be important.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It is supposed to fit very snug on the liner, that keeps it in place instead of just riding up and down on the cable as you shift. Washer attaches to liner, cable slides in and out of the washer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts