Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Air Force
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I got a Nokon cable set up for the holidays and have some questions. After reading the confusing instructions several times I began putting the cables on and have way too much cable liner off of the front and rear derailleur. There is nothing in the instructions about cutting the cables so... should I cut them to fit the frame and what should I use to cut them? Thanks for you time and I hope you can help, Steve

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yes, the liners have to be cut.

SEK82089 said:
Hi, I got a Nokon cable set up for the holidays and have some questions. After reading the confusing instructions several times I began putting the cables on and have way too much cable liner off of the front and rear derailleur. There is nothing in the instructions about cutting the cables so... should I cut them to fit the frame and what should I use to cut them? Thanks for you time and I hope you can help, Steve
You can cut them with a pair of scissors, they are nothing more than teflon plastic. Figure out how long an individual length of housing needs to be and cut the liner so that ~5mm protrudes from the last ball-shaped bead before putting the special ferrule on each end. There shouldn't be any liner going past the ferrules. Hope that helps.

-Ryan

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
I was anal about my liner being full length but it is not to difficult, like he said above, just trim it up so none sticks out past the ferrels!

K

·
Registered
37 Posts
SEK82089 said:
Another question you may be tackling is to whether expose your cables or leave them fully lined.

--If you intend to ride on dusty/wet/muddy roads or trails, it's better to fully line the cables with the Teflon liner from end to end...mostly this is done on MTBs. A fully lined Nokon system keeps the elements out of your cables.
--If you ride mostly on dry/some wet and sometimes dusty/muddy roads, cutting the liner at the cable stops is fine. Granted some dirt/dust/moisture will get into your liner but it shouldn't degrade performance terrilby much.

For the first 10 months I rode my road bike with fully lined Nokons. (note: I didn't have an shifting or braking issues. You'd think that a setup like this would have more friction but it's indiscernible. Shifting and braking was adequate with stock Nokon steel cables.)

I agree with you that the Nokon instructrions are not very clear but I did guess by the pictures (diagrams?) that Nokons should be fully lined. But I decided to "expose" the cables and cut them at the cable stops. I realized I didn't need the protection of a fully lined system riding here in Sol Ca. (note: In the exposed system, I did notice better and more accurate shifts and braking--squeezing the levers--seem more fluid with no noticable resistance. I think this is attributed more to the PowerCordz which replaced the stock steel Nokon cables.)

Depending on where you live and what conditions you will be riding in, you should decide what makes sense for your situation.

Hope this helps,
Mel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts