Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I commute a few times a week on my Cross-Check. It's eight miles each way on a mix of good-poor city roads and good-poor MUT. Whenever I can, I extend the ride by adding a few extra miles. These extra miles are sometimes nicely paved roads, sometimes gravel towpath, and for an occasional treat, I squeeze in a few miles of moderate singletrack. It's this last bit that is confusing my tire choice. The singletrack is generally flat with a few short steep hills; rooty in some spots, a little rocky in others, and sandy in some other spots. But mostly it's hard packed and dry. (I don't ever hit it after a rain.) All told, I'd estimate that my time on these trails is about 3% of the total on the C-C.

I've tried the Ritchey Speedmax in the past, and currently use WTB InterWolfs. These are adequate for all situations, but I can't help but feel like I'm giving up too much road performance for that 3% on singletrack. I'm thinking about trying a chubby slick tire next -- maybe the Michelin City in 47mm or even the Schwalbe Big Apple 2.0 (if it fits). Both seem like they'd be a blast on the crappy roads and MUT; but what about the singletrack? Anyone have similar experience? Will I be so miserable on the slicks that I never venture back into the woods (and thus solve from problem through deduction)?

Thanks

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
I ride 13 miles one way to work. 10 on paved road, 2 on crushed gravel, 1 on dirt trail (smooth to lightly bumpy).

Michelin City. I've ridden 35s but willl probably go back to 32s since sometimes a 35 is hard to pull through the cantilevers on my Double Cross.

The biggest thing I like about those Citys, they last a long time. Wearing out GrandPrixs on my event bike 2x annually makes me appreciate a tire that lasts all year.

The reflective sidewalls are useless after one or two commutes in the dirt.

In the winter I ride these alongside my buddies and their skinny tires and to be quite honest if I'm losing 1mph I would be suprised.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I have been impressed with Maxxis Overdrive. They are well made, have ample rubber and just enough tread action that I can hit some light dirt without feeling totally out of the element. Since these go on my commuting/ultility bike, the reflective sidewalls are a nice bonus. They have a kevlar belt and are reasonably priced. They roll smoothly and you don't really feel the tread on pavement.

brewster

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree with the Conti Contact City 700x32. They're a good tough, jack of all trades tire.

I have them in 700x28 on my road bike that I use for commuting, and the 26x1.75 on my singlespeed MTB rain/wind/recovery bike. I'm mad because I did not buy the 700x32, They would have fit my road bike.

Dude. I brought my contact city from nashbar for 24.99 with free shipping. Now they are 35.99. Wow.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Vittoria Randonneur Cross Pro Folding Tire 700x32mm, I have yet to try these tires but may include these in my next purchase. They are considered appropriate for trekking, touring and commuting on gravel trails or tarmac.

Their features are:

Reflective sidewalls.
Foldable bead for easy transport during long rides.
Double Shielding puncture protection.
Nylon 120 TPI casing.
Psi range: 60/70.
Size: 700c x 32mm.
Manufacturers weight: 450g.

They are fairly smooth without knobs but like the Maxxis Overdrive, the tire has raised beds if that is the correct expression.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I ride lots of bad pavement and gravel roads. The two tires that I use are Ritchey Speedmax DELTAS, (NOT THE REGULAR SPEEDMAXES) and Vittoria Cross XN file treads. Both work well although I prefer the Vittorias more supple ride. The new version of the Vittoria now comes with more aggressive side lugs.

singlecross

1 - 11 of 11 Posts