Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I commute a few times a week on my Cross-Check. It's eight miles each way on a mix of good-poor city roads and good-poor MUT. Whenever I can, I extend the ride by adding a few extra miles. These extra miles are sometimes nicely paved roads, sometimes gravel towpath, and for an occasional treat, I squeeze in a few miles of moderate singletrack. It's this last bit that is confusing my tire choice. The singletrack is generally flat with a few short steep hills; rooty in some spots, a little rocky in others, and sandy in some other spots. But mostly it's hard packed and dry. (I don't ever hit it after a rain.) All told, I'd estimate that my time on these trails is about 3% of the total on the C-C.

I've tried the Ritchey Speedmax in the past, and currently use WTB InterWolfs. These are adequate for all situations, but I can't help but feel like I'm giving up too much road performance for that 3% on singletrack. I'm thinking about trying a chubby slick tire next -- maybe the Michelin City in 47mm or even the Schwalbe Big Apple 2.0 (if it fits). Both seem like they'd be a blast on the crappy roads and MUT; but what about the singletrack? Anyone have similar experience? Will I be so miserable on the slicks that I never venture back into the woods (and thus solve from problem through deduction)?

Thanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts