Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I got a cheap pair of Shimano 105 SLR non-aero brake levers NOS on eBay. Though some day I might try them on a bike just to be different. Looking at them the other day, it's not clear to me how the brake cable housing terminates as it enters the rubber hood. Am I missing hardware that would make a clean termination? Or do I just bury the housing inside the hood?

Thanks for any advice or photos...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Might be missing a cap....

Is there a hole about 1/4" dia at the point where the cable and housing route into the top of the lever? Ther is an alu cap that acts as the end for the housing to rest upon and the cable continues on into the brake lever and the cable head fixes to the interface inside the lever.. Possibe to find at an LBS that deals in general repair of older bikes or junkers. Also it fits underneath the rubber hood.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Peel the rubber hood. You'll see how the cable end seats squarely on the brake body.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lone Gunman said:
Is there a hole about 1/4" dia at the point where the cable and housing route into the top of the lever? Ther is an alu cap that acts as the end for the housing to rest upon and the cable continues on into the brake lever and the cable head fixes to the interface inside the lever.. Possibe to find at an LBS that deals in general repair of older bikes or junkers. Also it fits underneath the rubber hood.
Looks like I must be missing the Alu cap. There's just a big gaping square hole more than 1/4". I'll try the LBS or maybe look on eBay. No wonder it auctioned for so little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts