Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It literally has been raining here in the S.F. Bay Area every one or two days for the past month. I'm looking for fully waterproof/breathable gloves to cure my cold/damp hands on my commutes to/from work.

I've checked out the AmFib gloves by Pearl Izumi, but don't like nor need the bulky insulation since it doesn't get that friggin' cold here. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I have a pair of SealSkinz gloves that are fully waterproof but offer no padding whatsoever.

Anybody have any recommendation for something in between? Thanks! :)

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
I haven't yet found a glove that keeps the rain out while not soaking on the inside from my sweat. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK, here's my solution. It's cheap (which I admit is my primary motivation), it works, and lets you choose how much layering you want. I wear long-fingered cycling gloves with latex gloves over them. Pop off the latex gloves when it stops raining, and sure they don't breathe but it takes a long time for them to get wet from the inside out.

Certified and tested in Rogers Pass, British Columbia in 2 days of freezing rain. Ain't nothin worse than wet gloves in the Selkirks.

-- Mark

·
Registered
324 Posts
As a Seattlite, I suggest finding something that's warm enough and forget about waterproof. Water on your fingers is no problem if they're warm, and it's a lot better than clammy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback thus far, folks.

Overall, I like the Sealskinz gloves in terms of their fully waterproofness and non-bulkiness. I just wish that they had some cushioning on the palm to take the edge off of the crappy street potholes...

Right now I'm using Specialized 'Deflect' softshell gloves that keep out light rain but get chilly and soggy in extended commuting through soggy air.

I'd welcome any additional input. Thanks again!

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
If you like the gloves, you could try padding the handlebar. I actually prefer that setup, as padding in gloves always settles in strange places for me. I don't wear padded gloves in any weather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts