Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume the answer to this is going to be "no problem" but how much damage, if any, will I do to my Easton EC 90 rims if I use my normal pads for one 30 mile race? My "race" bike is in transit and I won't have it in time for Crit on Sat - but I want to use my race wheels.

Thanks!

Nik

G

·
Just make sure the pads are clean, free of any metal prior and you should be fine. Try it out a bit first to see how they will feel and I would get the pads warm and see how they are then as well.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
ok

Should be fine. Worst case, they may be a little squeeky and grabby, and under some very hard braking, might melt a bit.

Yes, make sure they don't have gritty stuff or aluminum flakes in them.

A few years ago, I used regular Campy pads with some Zipp carbon wheels in the Furnace Creek 508. At one place there is a 55 mph descent, ending with a stop sign at a T intersection (rules say you have to stop). Since this was the relay format, and another rider was taking over at the stop sign, every second counts, so I blasted as fast as possible down the hill and braked as late as I could. When I reached the stop sign, smoke was pouring off the brakes and I melted down about half a brake pad into little balls of rubber around the pad. But I did stop. Fun!

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Don't sand the pads. That will just embed grit in the rubber, which will eat the carbon.
Instead, use an awl or small screwdriver to pick out the aluminum shards.

Better still, use your aluminum wheels. You'll have predictable braking, which is something that you and your fellow racers will appreciate.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks again all and yes.....

thanks again all and yes, I will test them tomorrow before the race to make sure ever.. and make sure braking is predictable.

Nik

1 - 8 of 8 Posts