Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new frame (or frameset) to build into a road bike with my son (he's 6', a multisport athlete, and easy to fit). I know it would be less expensive to just buy a lower to mid level road bike. This is more about the experience of building a bike from the frame up.

Aluminum is ok, and so is steel. i have steel, Al, and Ti bikes, and i'm happy with each one.

Right now i'm looking at the gunnar roadie frame and a few Soma framesets. seems hard to find a good but basic frame or frameset (new). scanttante from performance is a starting point for a basic aluminum frame. are there others? I bought an aluminum IRO frame and built into a single speed, which i love, but this one gets gears.

I like the gunnar. the paint gets some criticism (from the reviews here) as it's not powdercoat. any other comments on the paint? is the post-2004 really superior?

suggestions welcome.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,303 Posts
Before 2004, the paint didn't come with a clearcoat, which made it easy to chip. Gunnars use the same basic tubeset that the Waterford frames use (except designed for tig weld instead of lugs)
You can buy a cheaper aluminum frame from Performance or Nashbar, but it will be that.....a cheap frame. You can buy a cheaper steel frame from other builders, but it will be made from gas pipe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
I'm 6'. And would strongly recommend the Fondriest Status. Its Deda EOM 16.5 steel, which is easily the finest frame I've ever ridden, in every aspect. It "sings" to me, is lively, snappy, ridgid, and stiff. Has great geometry and weighs about 17lbs, without getting all weight weenied out.
There's a guy selling one right now under "fondreist" in frames forum.
I also have an Abici Podium al frameset that's pretty nice, light and stiff. It came in unpainted, and I spent the cold chicago winter handpolishing it. Read the Abici podium reviews and pm me fmi.
Also, check Viner and Masi speciale for deda 16.5 steel.
Also check out Salsa steel frames. Great quality and super value.
Enjoy.
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
Can't

Cygnus said:
I'm looking for a new frame (or frameset) to build into a road bike with my son (he's 6', a multisport athlete, and easy to fit). I know it would be less expensive to just buy a lower to mid level road bike. This is more about the experience of building a bike from the frame up.

Aluminum is ok, and so is steel. i have steel, Al, and Ti bikes, and i'm happy with each one.

Right now i'm looking at the gunnar roadie frame and a few Soma framesets. seems hard to find a good but basic frame or frameset (new). scanttante from performance is a starting point for a basic aluminum frame. are there others? I bought an aluminum IRO frame and built into a single speed, which i love, but this one gets gears.

I like the gunnar. the paint gets some criticism (from the reviews here) as it's not powdercoat. any other comments on the paint? is the post-2004 really superior?

suggestions welcome.

comment on the Gunnars, but I have a Soma Smoothie, and I love it. Built it up with carbon fork, cane creek headset, ritchey stem/bars, and a thompson seatpost , and then Aksium wheels....Shimano 105 gruppo. Rides great, I love that bike. Japanese steel baby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Buy him the Gunnar. He's your son, after all. If not, then a mid-level bike from your LBS. Buy him something nice, and require that he take care of it. A good lesson in responsibility.

Be warned that builing a bike can be a frustrating experience. You'll inevitable run into compatibility issues, missing parts, etc. This can be avoided, at least in part, by buying a complete build kit. Make it a winter project, give yourself plenty of time, and don't put it off until the first of April.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
everyone, thanks so far

grumpy: thanks for the heads up that gunnar frames are clearcoated. i think that, along with stainless steel dropouts, may largely overcome the paint chipping issue.

jham: thanks for the idea about Fondriest. hadn't heard of them but i will now give them a look. also, i am considering salsa.

blue sugar: i'm leaning that way. i've built a few bikes from the frame up so i know what i'm getting into. everyone should try this a few times as a learning experience.

physicist: soma is still on my list. your build sound like what we're trying for.

handsomer: not sure where your message went, but i don't blame you for changing your mind, if that's what happened. i followed your orignal waterford threat (in the lounge as i recall). great story, and good for you in doing the right thing. sounds like rescuing a pet and trying to find its family. i'm certain that frame will end in a good home.
 

·
Big is relative
Joined
·
11,887 Posts
You can get a Soma Smoothie Frame/Reynolds fork from GVH Bikes for around $500. They sell build kits at all levels of components so you could order a kit and have the frame shipped with the headset installed and the frame prepped for a build. It would be a good father/son project and GVH is easy to work with.
 

·
BarryBiker
Joined
·
6 Posts
Raleigh International, a restoration

A retired club member here in Richmond VA asked me to find a new home for his 57cm 1974 Raleigh International. I think it has the original Record parts on it and has been ridden about 3,000 miles. Probably be happy with about $300 to help with upcoming medical expenses. I have his 57cm Raleigh Gran Sports for sale now, only $175
If you want to start with something new, I would look for the Raleigh International built with Zona steel tubing, same as unsed on Colnago classics a few years ago. I got one with an aluminum fork for $120 last year. Built it with Veloce. See it listed for sale on craigslist - richmond.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
salsa?

If you are looking for affordable non-custom steel, also check out the Salsa La Raza. They can be had on-line for $600 frame and fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
The Salsa Casserol is on sale from Jenson for $289 F/F-looks like a bargain steel semi-compact if you like the paint scheme.Rocky Mountain Spirit from Cambria for $399[no fork]-very nice, built by Maxway.I have been pleased with my Surly Pacer another Maxway built frame.The Raleigh Columbus Zona frames are very nice as Barry mentioned,but hard to find NOS.They also appear to have been built by Maxway in Taiwan.The Maxway built frames are the best values in steel I have seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,118 Posts
Torelli makes some nice steel frames, the Gunnars are very nice as well, and Soma is on my list.

As far as the post 2004 Gunnar's being superior, it really depends on who you are. If paint is an issue than yes, if you like traditional top-tubes than the 04 is better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Have a riding friend who loves his Gunnar Roadie. He's a pretty good local racer, always uses the Gunnar for training. Also a long time bike shop employee, so good discount on other bikes, and he keeps showing up on the Gunnar. Now, if you go with Soma, I'd strongly endorse the poster above's recommendation about GVH bikes. Great prices and great to deal with. GVH's build kits are notably cheaper than any other shop I've priced on line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,720 Posts
Cygnus said:
handsomer: not sure where your message went, but i don't blame you for changing your mind, if that's what happened. i followed your orignal waterford threat (in the lounge as i recall). great story, and good for you in doing the right thing. sounds like rescuing a pet and trying to find its family. i'm certain that frame will end in a good home.
I haven't changed my mind. A moderator must have deleted my posts. :mad2: I guess I should have just sent you a PM instead of made a public offer for sale. I didn't think that I was overstepping any rules in this threads context (you reaching out looking for a bike).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
handsomerob said:
I haven't changed my mind. A moderator must have deleted my posts. :mad2: I guess I should have just sent you a PM instead of made a public offer for sale. I didn't think that I was overstepping any rules in this threads context (you reaching out looking for a bike).
deleting your thread was a mistake, as yours is a great story of karma and having the right stuff. i pm'd you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks

bigbill said:
You can get a Soma Smoothie Frame/Reynolds fork from GVH Bikes for around $500. They sell build kits at all levels of components so you could order a kit and have the frame shipped with the headset installed and the frame prepped for a build. It would be a good father/son project and GVH is easy to work with.
bigbill and dave: thanks for directing me to GVH. looks to be a great place to find a new frame, and also parts. we'd like to do everything except facing and chasing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,837 Posts
physasst said:
comment on the Gunnars, but I have a Soma Smoothie, and I love it. Built it up with carbon fork, cane creek headset, ritchey stem/bars, and a thompson seatpost , and then Aksium wheels....Shimano 105 gruppo. Rides great, I love that bike. Japanese steel baby.
According to GVH, that's Taiwanese steel baby. Nice bike either way.
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
Welded

lampshade said:
According to GVH, that's Taiwanese steel baby. Nice bike either way.
in Taiwan, the tubeset is Tange Prestige....Japanese steel.:rolleyes:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top