Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok probably a stupid question, but are there any basic tests I can do on a new wheelset to check they're safe to ride? I have a set of carbon clinchers (60 + 88mm) coming from china in july, and will be building them into a 20/24 spoke wheelset. Some posts in this forum have warned me already that it's not a simple build (possibly because of the cheap-ass hubs i bought which i will probably replace). I suppose the biggest risk is overtensioning the spokes and cracking the rims..
Anyway, is there anything I can do prior to a 50mph descent to put my mind at rest they aren't going to splode on me? Or disintegrate when I hit a pothole?
like I said, probably a stupid question. on the plus side, you have a review of cheap chinese rims on the way :)

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Just inspect them frequently. When you build them check for signs of problems where the nipples insert (cracking or bulging), and after riding check the brake tracks also. Be careful with braking on long descents... even good carbon rims can overheat from braking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.