Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good-day All,

I tore off a good layer of skin on my left shin on Saturday. A corner of a piece of MDF board grazed my shin as it fell to the ground. It looks like a 1 inch X 5 inch strip of road rash. I have applied antibiotic cream and dressings since the injury. Can I ride the bike as long as I keep it covered or should I wait? Also, how long will it take to skin over? Just as a guage, tanned skin was completely removed and I was left with raw, bone-white skin - until the blood began to flow. It is still oozing a fair amount.

I have already missed one ride and I am climbing the walls....

Cheers!

JJ

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Wrapping - knee high hose

Andrea138 said:
Just wrap it in something absorbent & ride.... Clean well afterwards.
As cool as that mesh covering looks it is sometimes hard for us mere mortals to find, especially on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of the country. Tape never seems to work well for me with regard to holding gauze in place. Buy yourself a package of knee high panty hose to hold the gauze in place. You can cut out he toes if you need a sleeve for your arm.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
After it stops oozing, slap a piece of Tegaderm on that baby and it will be healed in a few days with minimal scarring. Tegaderm is a moisture-permeable micro-thin bandage that functions almost like fake skin. However it will not keep the ooze from seeping through to your pants, so stick with the gauze for a couple of days. Teg is dang expensive, but worth it, and your local drug store should have it with the first aid stuff or back by the pharmacy.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Another newfangled bandage alternative.

Like tegadern, this is fairly expensive, and promotes the "wet healing" process that has now been conclusively proven to be better than scabs. Unlike tegaderm, this keeps the ooze contained (absorbs it and turns it into a gel cushion, actually). It has worked unbelievably well for me. Use several pieces overlapped if necessary, to make sure there's a wide border stuck to intact skin.

Andrea: careful with those spoilers. Some of are trying to be surprised when we watch the replay tonight.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
JCavilia said:
Like tegadern, this is fairly expensive, and promotes the "wet healing" process that has now been conclusively proven to be better than scabs. Unlike tegaderm, this keeps the ooze contained (absorbs it and turns it into a gel cushion, actually). It has worked unbelievably well for me. Use several pieces overlapped if necessary, to make sure there's a wide border stuck to intact skin.
Oooo! Thanks for sharing- this stuff looks good! Where did you buy it?

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Another reminder for all of us racer-types who have the increased chance of crashing: Get a tetanus shot update every 10 years.

There is another dressing called Mepitel that I like. It is a gelatin gauze that can be used with Polysporin or similar. It does not stick to the wound but it has to be covered with conventional gauze or dressing. The main advantage to it is that it breathes well and provides a barrier so that the dressings will not stick to the wound. It can actually be washed a re-used a few times during dressing changes.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
I thought tetanus was anaerobic-- usually caused by a puncture wound.

Eric_H said:
Another reminder for all of us racer-types who have the increased chance of crashing: Get a tetanus shot update every 10 years.

There is another dressing called Mepitel that I like. It is a gelatin gauze that can be used with Polysporin or similar. It does not stick to the wound but it has to be covered with conventional gauze or dressing. The main advantage to it is that it breathes well and provides a barrier so that the dressings will not stick to the wound. It can actually be washed a re-used a few times during dressing changes.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Becky said:
Oooo! Thanks for sharing- this stuff looks good! Where did you buy it?
Most drugstores have it, IME. The confusing name(s) is a marketing disaster, but look for the one in the silver box. It's fairly pricey (about $7 for 6 2"x3" sheets), but it's worth it. You can leave it on for like 5 days, and when you peel it off you have new pink skin. Very good stuff.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
first aid tape

Keeping up with Junior said:
As cool as that mesh covering looks it is sometimes hard for us mere mortals to find, especially on a Sunday afternoon in the middle of the country. Tape never seems to work well for me with regard to holding gauze in place. Buy yourself a package of knee high panty hose to hold the gauze in place. You can cut out he toes if you need a sleeve for your arm.
what is the purpose of 1st aid tape? It never sticks.

What is JCavilla mentioning? is it mepitel?

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Andrea138 said:
That stuff is good, but don't leave it on for more than 3-4 days without changing it, or your wound can start to get slimy and smell foul.
I've never had that happen, and I've left it on as long as five days. I think if you make sure things are really clean before you apply it you have a better chance. In any event, you have to keep an eye on things, as always.

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
I had some extra-oozy road rash on my knee and left the patch on for a week (they do stick really well!) When I took it off, it smelled really gross (although it had healed well), and I just had to give it a good scrub and let it dry some. I imagine 5 days on something not oozing quite so much would be fine, but just from my personal experience, I won't keep one on without changing it for that long :)

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Thank you for those details, Andrea.

Andrea138 said:
I had some extra-oozy road rash on my knee and left the patch on for a week (they do stick really well!) When I took it off, it smelled really gross (although it had healed well), and I just had to give it a good scrub and let it dry some. I imagine 5 days on something not oozing quite so much would be fine, but just from my personal experience, I won't keep one on without changing it for that long :)
And I'm glad I didn't read that before lunch :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.