Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sighed up for a road race that will take place next Sunday. (30 miles) Right now I do not have a road bike, rather a Specialized Hardrock with slick tires. I can either ride my bike or borrow a older steel Bianchi.

I remember hearing that switching over from mountain to road will use slightly different muscle tissues. Would I be better off using the mountain bike? I am no condition to win or even stay with the pack. (Doing it for personal accomplishment type thing) I would only have 6 days to get used to the road bike.

Brent Wickham

· Registered
655 Posts
Go for the style points... use the Mtn Bike. Put streamers on the bar ends and a bell and go out in style, have a good time and don't worry about how you do. Its your first race and at least you will have a good story out of it.

· Registered
6,422 Posts
If...

homebrew said:
Go for the style points... use the Mtn Bike. Put streamers on the bar ends and a bell and go out in style, have a good time and don't worry about how you do. Its your first race and at least you will have a good story out of it.
If this an officially sanctioned USCF road race (don't know if it is or not), then you won't be able to use a mountain bike. Only drop bar road bikes are allowed. Ride the road bike that you can borrow. It's always faster than a slick tired mountain bike anyway.

· Registered
3,375 Posts
magnolialover said:
If this an officially sanctioned USCF road race (don't know if it is or not), then you won't be able to use a mountain bike. Only drop bar road bikes are allowed. Ride the road bike that you can borrow. It's always faster than a slick tired mountain bike anyway.
And what part of the rule says that? Sheesh.
Anyway, to the OP, themountain bike is fine, just make sure you don't have bar extensions pointing up or forward.

1J. Bicycles
1J1. Bicycles used in competition must be propelled solely by the rider's legs and shall have the following characteristics:
(a) Dimensions. Bicycles may be no more than 2 meters long and 75 cm wide, except that tandems may be up to 3 meters long
(b) There may be no protective shield, fairing, or other device on any part of the bicycle, which has the effect of reducing air resistance except that spoke covers may be used
(c) Wheels may be made with spokes or solid construction. No wheel may contain special mechanisms to store and release energy
(d) The handlebar ends shall be solidly plugged and attachments thereto shall be fashioned in such a way as to minimize danger without impairing steering. Handlebars used for steering with ends, features, or attachments that extend forward or upward or that provide support for other than the the rider's hands are permitted only in time trial and pursuit events (not in Team Sprint); however, attachments that point upward on the brakehoods of road bicycles are allowed if the distance between them is greater than 25 cm (9.8 inches). [disqualification]
(e) Bicycles must meet current UCI technical regulations at events that select 17-18, U23 and elite riders for international competition or national teams.
(f) Bicycles commonly known as recumbent may not be raced in USCF races unless there is a separate race for this category of bicycle, and then may be used only in that category.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Meatball said:
I picked up the road bike. It is sure in great condition. It is made in Italy too! Need to take it to bike shop to have air put in tires because I don't have a pump for presta valves.

They sell a .50c adapter you can screw on to pump it with a regular pump.

Gets annoying. Get a $30 Joe Blow Sport pump.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
homebrew said:

What about a card in the spokes? That was always cool sounding.

· The Right Wing
871 Posts
Time out! How old are you? I need a little background here.

You need to know that high pressure tires need to be filled at least every week. Unless your LBS is on your block, and they really like you, you need a floor pump.

Also, take a look at the road race flyer and course map. They may or may not be pulling lapped riders, like they do in a crit. If they pull you, you may not be able to accomplish your goal of finishing the race. This is one big difference between bike racing and running races.

· Registered
5,358 Posts
bas said:
They sell a .50c adapter you can screw on to pump it with a regular pump.

Gets annoying. Get a $30 Joe Blow Sport pump.
I used those presta-schrader adaptors for years, until my cheap schrader pump died and I bought a good pump.

Meatball, I can't figure out if you're trolling or serious. If its the latter, you need a floor pump. Road bike tires need to be pumped up before every ride.

· Registered
12,083 Posts
ericm979 said:
I used those presta-schrader adaptors for years, until my cheap schrader pump died and I bought a good pump.

Meatball, I can't figure out if you're trolling or serious. If its the latter, you need a floor pump. Road bike tires need to be pumped up before every ride.
well, pumping them once per week seems to work fine for me. I do pump them just before a race though.
That being said, although the bike shops around here in general are friendly, they would probably quickly get tired of me stopping by all the time for some air..

· Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jorj54 said:
Not that I'm trying to discourage you, but why are you racing then?
I have been riding my slick tire mountain bike for a long time. I lack the funds for a road bike so I have been training on my mountain bike. I have done 70 mile rides and such on it. I am racing because it is something new and it may become a new hobby.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.