Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost ate it last night. 15 miles into the Thursday Night Hero Ride, the Noob who was riding right in front of me decided to flat both tires in a pot hole at 28 mph. As the guy went down, and started sliding, things shifted to slo-mo. I had to decide to go left or right. I chose right. Missed him by THIS much.

Noob needs to learn to keep his eyes open, and how to "unweight" bike over holes.

The guy was able to ride back, but we were tied up so long, we had to cut the ride short, by a few miles............bummer.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I try not to spend too long at the front at 28. I had been up there two minutes before.
It just goes to show that you always have to know the guy whose wheel you're on.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. Couple of weeks ago on our Saturday AM hammerfest, a friend of mine was right behind another rider, not a Noob, who went down after hitting a hole. Friend was so close he had no where to go and piled into him, thrown from bike, hit his hip among other things. He had a total hip replacement the following Tuesday morning. He'll be off the bike a LONG time.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had just come off the front and was tired. There were six or seven guys behind him who were just sucking wheel, and I didn't want to go back that far. The guy that crashed was one of us that were taking pulls. Even though the guy is on our team, I had never ridden with him before (think he's a young 4)
If we were doing 25, I would have stayed up front, but old guys like me can't hold 28 for very long without blowing.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
You were almost N()()bed!

· Registered
3,375 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
I had just come off the front and was tired. There were six or seven guys behind him who were just sucking wheel, and I didn't want to go back that far. The guy that crashed was one of us that were taking pulls. Even though the guy is on our team, I had never ridden with him before (think he's a young 4)
If we were doing 25, I would have stayed up front, but old guys like me can't hold 28 for very long without blowing.
I'm not saying you didn't have your reasons, but it was still your choice to ride where you did and you own the consequences of that decision. Too many new riders (I'm not talking about you here) fail to understand they are responsible for where they ride in a group and are responsible for their own safety.

For me, there's never any question about who's responsible for a crash or other problem; I am. Even if I wasn't the direct cause, I allowed myself to be in a position where it could happen to me.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everybody makes mistakes.
I probably shouldn't call him a noob, but he is young, and hasn't raced very long. He should have known that that road has some nasty pot holes that you have to learn where they are, or how to avoid them....(or how to get over them)

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
People often make bad choices when they are in the "red zone".

· Registered
3,500 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Everybody makes mistakes.
I probably shouldn't call him a noob, but he is young, and hasn't raced very long. He should have known that that road has some nasty pot holes that you have to learn where they are, or how to avoid them....(or how to get over them)
So be omnipotent. Check.

· Registered
3,375 Posts
cdhbrad said:
That is pretty much what put my friend in the hospital too....a younger rider who, maybe, should have been more aware of where we were on the ride....its not like the hole he hit just opened up that morning.
Another one misses the point. What put your friend in the hospital was choosing to ride the wrong wheel, riding too close, not looking ahead up the road, not having an escape plan, ...

People who ride in groups have to start understanding they are responsible for their own safety and not rely on others.

· Registered
838 Posts
AdamM said:
+1

Yep. If the pace allows the "noobs" to sit in and folks want to complain about it, what's up with that? Htfu and getting your nose in the wind ought to solve the problem.
yeah, but...in a big pack, everybody can' t be on the front all the time. Our Tues night worlds are full of "noobs" that are strong and fast...but young and stupid. Also people who aren't super fast, but are super DETERMINED to fight their way up to the front (or at least near the front) and hide from the wind at all costs.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Of the last 3 club "practice races" I've done, I've been involved in 2 crashes. (touched by those crashing, but didn't go down either time) It's creeping me out and I know I can't be that lucky forever.

· Registered
268 Posts
Yet more proof that once-a-week mountain bike riding in a technical
environment develops innate bike-handling skills beyond what road-only
training can offer, as well as keeping the core muscles and bone density
from lagging too far behind. Bunny-hopping does not just come naturally
to everyone. Red zone may have contibuted to his error as well, though.

24,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would have said it last night, but nobody would have laughed.

I do not think that I'll ride behind him again. If I would have gone down too, I would have been really pi$$ed at myself. Normally I avoid situations like that, but I was tired, and my judgement had left the building.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.