Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, just built my surly steamroller today and im hearing a ticking sound followed by a jerk.. it sounds like its coming form the rear hub, and its especially prevalent when pedaling backwards. wheels are velocity deep v with velocity hubs. i tightened the cog and lockring down good so i know its not that. sorry the description is kind of vague but im very much a noob in terms of maitenance. any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
414 Posts
1. Check that your chain tension is not too tight (if you've made it too tight, the chain can bind and make it feel this way)

2. Depending on the rear hub, make sure that everything on there hasn't been overtightened and that it is not binding on the bearings (major bad if it is and there's mileage on them).

·
Registered
43 Posts
i get the same pop when i have my chain tension too tight on my track bike and i pedal it backwards while in the stand it pops everytime the connector link wraps around the cog.

(although it only does it in the stand and only backwards, and only when its waay too tight.)

for me i adjust the tension so its tight but not so tight that you can hear the chain "pulse"

·
Registered
453 Posts
I check my fixie's chain like I check the belts on my car. Put a straightedge across the top of the gears, get a ruler and measure perpendicularly from the center of the chain. It should be about an inch of "droop" or so. It may be different for your chain, but generally 1/2" per foot of chain (gear to gear) is a good baseline. Your results may vary depending on chain wear, chain type, and maintenance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.