Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my situation - I'm a younger cyclist who spends all his money on bikes. I love it. It's a addiction. Anyway I don't like going to bike shops because I usually spend way more in labor than I think is fair. I want to start learning how to do things myself because I know I'll have to eventually down the road.

I have an FSA K-Force Crank on a Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod

I want to transfer this crank to my new Giant TCR Advanced SL which currently has a DA 7800 crank

So my questions is what tools will I need to remove both cranks and install the K-Force onto the Giant, and my bigger question is what is the deal with the Bottom Brackets? Do I move the BB on the Cannondale to the Giant, and if so how do I do it? I searched but all this lingo about BB30 to BB86, Shimano BBs and all this other stuff and I'm really confused. Will the BB on he canndonale fit the giant? After I take the crank off the Cannondale Super Six Hi-Mod is for sale - has Fully campy record. I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks in advanced

·
Pathlete and Pedalphile
3,182 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Unfortunatley you will not be able to. The c-dale should be bb30 (this is what matters) and the giant is pf86 (uses a 24mm spindle like the shimano DA7800.) There is no cross fit to put the larger spindle crank to the giant, unless wheelsmanufacturing or someone else made some wild adaptor, which is possible, call a QBP dealer and discuss.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
To know for certain, I think we need to know the model year/ specs of your bikes, but I agree with High-Roller that you're probably not going to be able to accomplish this swap.

If the Giant is new (as in 2012/13), it likely has a BB86 BB shell. Essentially, an 86.5mm wide shell accepting a 24mm spindle and standard sized bearings pressed into a nylon insert. Each inserts lip is 1.75mm's, making for a 90 mm shell width, assembled.

I'm not an expert on C'dales Hi-Mods, but believe that depending on model year, they have either a BB30 BB (circlips) or PF30 BB (nylon/ delrin cups). In either case, they'd have 68mm shell widths accepting 30mm spindles. To my knowledge, no one offers adapters to enable the use of 30mm spindles in a BB86 shell.

Bottom line, to be certain, the BB's of both bikes need to be identified.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To know for certain, I think we need to know the model year/ specs of your bikes, but I agree with High-Roller that you're probably not going to be able to accomplish this swap.

If the Giant is new (as in 2012/13), it likely has a BB86 BB shell. Essentially, an 86.5mm wide shell accepting a 24mm spindle and standard sized bearings pressed into a nylon insert. Each inserts lip is 1.75mm's, making for a 90 mm shell width, assembled.

I'm not an expert on C'dales Hi-Mods, but believe that depending on model year, they have either a BB30 BB (circlips) or PF30 BB (nylon/ delrin cups). In either case, they'd have 68mm shell widths accepting 30mm spindles. To my knowledge, no one offers adapters to enable the use of 30mm spindles in a BB86 shell.

Bottom line, to be certain, the BB's of both bikes need to be identified.
The Giant is a 2010 TCR Advanced SL2 with a DA 7800 Crank set. Pretty sure it's BB86

The Cannondale is a 2010 SuperSix Hi-Mod Ultimate Double with BB30 - FSA K-Force Crank. Thanks guys!

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
The Giant is a 2010 TCR Advanced SL2 with a DA 7800 Crank set. Pretty sure it's BB86

The Cannondale is a 2010 SuperSix Hi-Mod Ultimate Double with BB30 - FSA K-Force Crank. Thanks guys!
You're right on both counts.. the 2010 TCR Advanced has a BB86 BB shell and the C'dale uses BB30.

Not that it matters, but I believe your Supersix was originally spec'd with a Hollowgram Si SL crankset.

Back on topic, you aren't going to be able to do that crankset swap. Personally, I think you're better off with the Shimano DA crankset.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.