Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the current thinking on bar width? Wider is Better? Narrower is Best? I'm an average build 5' 10". Not wirey or football player shoulders.

Tks

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
PaleAleYum said:
What is the current thinking on bar width? Wider is Better? Narrower is Best? I'm an average build 5' 10". Not wirey or football player shoulders.

Tks
44 or 46. Wider is generally better.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
the width of your shoulders - no more

PaleAleYum said:

Tks
Not sure why everyone is running super wide bards lately the bar width should be you shoulder width wide and no wider. Wider or narrower is not better the correct width is.

duh I did not see this was in the cross forum my mistake. For a cross bike slightly wider might be better esp if you are running inline levers for breaks but i would only go one size up it that.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Wide bars are the fashion these days, with 'cross bars running a bit wider than road bars. I'm a tall, wide shouldered guy and now I can get bars that fit without special ordering. I don't see anything wrong with the old-school method of matching the bar to the pivot point of your shoulder.

I really, really like my Bell Lap 46s.

Ron

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Bar width, as I understand it ...

For road bikes, the best bar width is one that balances the tradeoffs of aerodynamics, comfort, and lung capacity. Choose a narrow bar and aerodynamics will benefit but comfort and lung capacity will suffer. Get a wide bar and aerodynamics suffer but the other two might come out on top. A good tradeoff for road riding is a bar that puts your arms about in line with the widest part of your body. That's where you get the width of your shoulder socket as a reasonable approximation of bar width.

For cross, there is negligable aerodynamic penalty so get them as wide as you feel comfortable. Folks who do a lot of road riding will probably feel very comfortable with a bar the same width as their road bike bar since that's what they are used to. A mountain biker might feel more comfortable on a wider bar.

Personally, I like a bit wider bar than my road bike because I primarily ride the hoods or drops on the road but I'm on the tops (near the bend) a lot on my cross bike. That narrower grip point is the main reason I like a wider bar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts