Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come I can't inflate my tires to the max? I can pump them up until the gauge on the floor pump reads 60 PSI but no more than that. When it reaches 60, the floor pump will stay extended and that's it. It my floor pump gauge screwed up? The tire seems pretty full when I pinch it so it's not like I can't ride them...

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
mine seems too hard to pump sometimes but actually it's just a matter of battling the psi for me...what kinda pump you got? I ride on 100psi. Some recommend 120. 60 seems awfully low, might want to take it in to the LBS to have it checked.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Topeak Joe Blow Sprint.
Once it reaches 60 PSI, I can push the lever down all the way but the gauge does not move.
Edit:
Tried it again and was able to get the front to 95 and the rear to 100, but damn are my arms tired :eek:

·
Registered
663 Posts
When you are inflating the tire, is the nut on the presta valve opened all the way to the top of the screw? If not, it could be impeding airflow into the valve body.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
notwist said:
How come I can't inflate my tires to the max? I can pump them up until the gauge on the floor pump reads 60 PSI but no more than that. When it reaches 60, the floor pump will stay extended and that's it. It my floor pump gauge screwed up? The tire seems pretty full when I pinch it so it's not like I can't ride them...
Cheap pump? Broken gauge? Gauges are notoriously fragile and unreliable.
This isn't as common as it used to be, but until several years ago, a lot of bike pumps were made for old-school balloon cruiser tires--they'd only go to 50 or 60 psi. Drop by a bike shop and ask if you can test a pump before you buy it. Try a Zefal or Blackburn (reliable name brands) and see if it works better than yours (if it does, and you decide to buy one, you're then required to buy it at that shop, not order it online).

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
fsdork said:
When you are inflating the tire, is the nut on the presta valve opened all the way to the top of the screw? If not, it could be impeding airflow into the valve body.

that was my guess too....before you put the pump head on, make sure the value head is unthreaded all the way and push down of the valve( actually letting some air out). It helps free up the valve...

The above is especially true if your gage jumps around when your are inflating the tires....it usually means a stuck valve

·
10-81
515 Posts
Another pump question....

Have presta valves that I can never seem to get a real good seal on with the pump. When I close the lever on the pump a small amount of air can be heard leaking out. Once the tire hits 100psi on the guage the air begins to esacpe even faster. At this point it is a race to get the tire pump up and disconnected from the tire before I lose all the air I pump into it. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Leaking air

fireplug said:
Have presta valves that I can never seem to get a real good seal on with the pump. When I close the lever on the pump a small amount of air can be heard leaking out. Once the tire hits 100psi on the guage the air begins to esacpe even faster. At this point it is a race to get the tire pump up and disconnected from the tire before I lose all the air I pump into it. What am I doing wrong?
You may be doing nothing wrong. It sounds like you may need a replacement grommet on your pump to get a better seal. The air that is leaking out is most likely just what is in the pump head, unless your pump somehow depresses the valve stem when it is clamped on. Try an experiment: when you get up to 100 psi, quit pumping but leave the pump head attached. If the tire goes flat, then your pump head is too far onto the valve stem and IS depressing the valve stem. If the hissing stops but the tire remains inflated, then it's just the rubber grommet not making a tight seal on the valve.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
fireplug said:
Another pump question....

tubes with unthreaded stems are a BIG help as is a Silca chuck...the Silca chuck seals well and new gaskets are easy to find, change mine about once a year

1 - 10 of 10 Posts