Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

So as the title says I'm new the cycling and to the forums. I'd really like to buy a road bike. I own mountain bike, lots of fun, but I live in the city and so a road bike would be awesome to have. I am a college student, so money is not the most of something I have. I'd like to get a good road bike, but not spend a ton of money on one. Most of my activities with the bike will just include a nice workout, more a "i'll go ride 8 miles for my exercise today" and of course to get around from time to time if it is a nice day.

If anyone could give me some suggestions on a decent bike at a great price, that would be awesome. And also, and tips for a noobie starting in something I've always wanted to start.

akhenaton22

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
also

jaseone said:
You left out the important bit of information... your budget?

if you are new to the forums, be careful of the basement, we can be kinda ornery down in PO........

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My budget would probably be somewhere between 100-200 dollars. yes yes, very low. But at the same time I'd like something light, but i guess you make do with what you can pay for.

akhenaton22

·
Slowpoke
73 Posts
Check around for a cycling co-operative or a charity-based bike refurbishing shop. There are one or two in most decent sized cities. You can get a much better bike there than you would expect for a couple of hundred dollars. Inquire at a few bike shops regarding where you could donate an old bike and you'll get hooked up with the contact information you need.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
akhenaton22 said:
My budget would probably be somewhere between 100-200 dollars. yes yes, very low. But at the same time I'd like something light, but i guess you make do with what you can pay for.

akhenaton22
ask bike shops, check yard sales, etc. for 1-200$ you're better off outfitting your MTB with slicks. 1-2$ won't get you in the "game". something ebay will run you 3-4$ plus a refurb and tune-up on your part, another $100.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
physasst said:
if you are new to the forums, be careful of the basement, we can be kinda ornery down in PO........
But be sure to check in on NCD. Where the hipsters hang out. :cool:

·
Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
akhenaton22 said:

akhenaton22
Where are you...I have an old Giant collecting dust in my basement. Not the nicest in the world, but I could be persuaded to part with it very cheaply!

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
Welcome aboard! I am moving this to the beginners forum where there is a host of great information on selecting a first bike and starting out.

Have fun.

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts