Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
not sure if this is the right section

this is my bike: http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2006&Brand=Fuji&Model=Newest+1.0&Type=bike

as much as i love it, its getting old, and im riding with pros on full carbon fibre bikes. and as much as i love the fact i can match them on this i want something more....

but im poor. so i was looking into getting a "ebay carbon frame" would i be able to just transfer everything over?

what parts should i upgrade? i already have some nice wheels

thanks for any help

PS: i heard its hard to upgrade my 105 9 speed, is this true?
PPS: can someone tell me what size my BB is?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
a kind of yes

Well almost for sure most of the components will transfer over just fine. There may be some that need replacing. Not sure on the bottom bracket or head set. Might need a new one of those. If you like building bikes then sure, do it. You can buy a frame, strip this one, then sell the (frame only) on eBay to recoup some of your costs.
But note this. if (as you say) "you are poor", just have some extra money set aside like $100.00 and be prepared to buy something if you need it . All my bikes I bought in parts and assembled from the ground up, but I didn't do it to save money. I think you might be OK here and actually save, seeing as you plan to strip one and outfit the other though. So sell your old frame and if you are mechanically inclined, it's not really too hard. Park Tool website is your friend.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool thank you for the help

also i have heard that i can not upgrade the 9 speed group (or at least its hard to find parts for) is this true?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well I don't really know what you mean by upgrade. If you wanted to upgrade, you would be upgrading to 10 speed which would end up with a mostly new gruppo so in that sense you can upgrade, but specific parts? You can't turn a 9 spd Shimano shifter into a 10 spd shifter like you can with Campy. Regardless, if you were going to upgrade it would be to a 10 speed and that would mean at least a new cassette, and new rear shift lever. Maybe your current rear derailleur would work, I would think so but. This wouldn't be a cheap upgrade BTW, what with the STI shifter involved. You want to upgrade to 10 speed, You're probably looking at most of a complete gruppo IMO. PS: I don't think it would make sense to upgrade to say, Ultegra or DuraAce 9. Look on eBay for 9 spd parts and like Campy, they are getting less and less.
otakunorth said:
cool thank you for the help

also i have heard that i can not upgrade the 9 speed group (or at least its hard to find parts for) is this true?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Based on what your telling us, I wouldn't. The fact that you're keeping up with pros is a testament to the engine (the most important part) and to your Fuji. You already have a carbon fork & nice wheels. If your Fuji gives too stiff a ride for your taste, try a carbon fiber seatpost. The only thing certain about making a change as big as a frame swap is that your going to spend money. Whether you'll be happier is rolling the dice.

The grain of salt you should take along with any advice from me is that I've always considered carbon fiber bikes to be disposable. I found out a month ago that they don't biodegrade and aren't recyclable.....

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Not worth it to transfer the components. They are lower end and heavy. You can transfer them over to another frame, but you're still going to end up with a bike that's heavy.

Better to save your pennies and get a whole new bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my plan is to use my bike as a cyclecross bike for the next few months until winter

then swap frames in the off season, and depending on how tight money is upgrade my gears to something lighter yet affordable.

i have looked at it a few ways and for me it would be cheaper to upgrade (unless i could sell my bike for a good sum, but i doubt i could)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Two things are wrong here...

otakunorth said:
hmmm
after riding on a few other bikes, i just felt mine was too relaxed
its also almost 30 lbs
I'm sorry, but "My aluminum frame is too relaxed" isn't something I was predicting you would say. Don't change the seatpost for carbon fiber, you'll be going in the wrong direction. Does it ride differently than from when you first bought it? If so, I would have a shop look at your fork. Like, tomorrow.

The website you furnished the link to indicates the Fuji is 20.5 lbs., which seems about right in my experience.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I personally think the frame you are riding is a decent frame. My wife actually is riding the exact same one, year, color, everything. She loves it. I picked it up used and built it up with used Shimano 9 speed 105 shifters, Ultegra RD, Tiagra FD, FSA Omega Mega EXO compact crank, 600 brake calipers and Mavic Open Pro 32 hole on Ultegra 6500 hubs w/Wheelsmith spokes. It is fairly light and with a carbon seatpost fairly smooth and for recreational/fitness riding it is hard to beat for the sub $500 I have into it. She can go 30+ miles on it easily. I personally would not change the frame, but maybe upgrade some of the components. That's my .02.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm maybe i wont get the frame then
the only component upgrade i want to do is the crank, its a huge steel beast
anyone have any sugestions on a lighter one that will work with my 9 speed? so far i have only seen the older stock 105 cranks and they dont look much better

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
That crankset is aluminum

That's not a steel crank unless someone swapped it on you. I don't think you could get a steel crank to fit in that bike
otakunorth said:
hmmm maybe i wont get the frame then
the only component upgrade i want to do is the crank, its a huge steel beast
anyone have any sugestions on a lighter one that will work with my 9 speed? so far i have only seen the older stock 105 cranks and they dont look much better

·
Registered
342 Posts
there's no way that bike weighs 30 pounds! The steel 61cm bike with 9 speed group i just broke and replaced was like 24 tops. Also, the Truvativ touro compact is not a steel crank, it's all alum. except for the chain ring fixing bolts.
A new ultegra crank with the re-designed outboard bearings will stiffen up the bottom bracket area and probably shed a few grams as well. $170. but check your existing crank arm length. This one is compact like your existing cranks, great if you spin a high cadence.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-Ultegra-6650-172-5-34-50-Road-Crankset-Ice-w-BB-/370409534268?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item563e20f33c

As someone else mentioned though, pumping new parts into an older bike get's expensive. You might want to consider a new rig altogether.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts