Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm new to the area and was wondering how the CX scene is here in NOR_CAL i plan to race in the eliet Catagory and was wondering if there are mane fast guys around here. My son also plans on racing and is there much of an eliet junior junior contingent? Also what are the courses like i'm used to east coast racing, but are the courses much different ofther then a lack of rain? Thanks

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
spinningsf said:
Hey I'm new to the area and was wondering how the CX scene is here in NOR_CAL i plan to race in the eliet Catagory and was wondering if there are mane fast guys around here. My son also plans on racing and is there much of an eliet junior junior contingent? Also what are the courses like i'm used to east coast racing, but are the courses much different ofther then a lack of rain? Thanks
There are no fast guys in NorCal. Don't even waste your time going to the races. Those guys will run you out of town for stealing their prize money.

But seriously, I think there's a pretty robust NorCal cross scene. Since I'm not from 'round there, I can't speak about it specifically. But there is about a ton of racing in the Bay Area plus more in places more remote.

·
Registered
269 Posts
More fast guys than you can swing a stick at

They were going super fast. check the results from Nationals and see how many are from NorCal. they have great team presence and spend all summer thrashing themselves in the crit fests that litter the state. I went down to do a few races and I have never seen so many Powertap equipped cross bikes with clinchers at 65psi. Go to PDX and you'll be amazed at the number of tubulars on bikes. I guess it just means they spend their extra coin on electronics and us PNW kids like to sniff glue

·
Registered
367 Posts
We're quite fortunate in Nor Cal when it comes to CX. There is a long history that dates back to the 70s (see PSH) for some footage. One thing we tend to miss out on here is wet & muddy conditions. Generally the race courses are fast and dry. The Bay Area races have little to no grass. The talent goes deep in both the elite and masters categories. You can race every weekend from September 1 through the end of January. Races venues from Reno, to Sacramento, San Francisco peninsula, Livermore, Watsonville and Monterey. Even a race in Marin County. Good info and last years calendar is at http://www.ncnca.org/cyclocross/2007/index_goog.html. The tentative new calendar is up and should be finalized by around Aug 1. There are a lot of good guys from the area that post here as the season gets going -Morgan Fletcher, Wunlap Togo, Crankles, Dlbcx etc.

While the racing is competitive, the racers and teams are pretty laid back after the races. Plenty of beer, bbq and a good family environment. I'm not sure who is more excited about the upcoming season, my two sons (7&9) or myself)

Welcome to Northern California

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.