Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here in NorCal? I'm moving to San Fran in a few weeks...I will be seeking riding buddy(ies). Not c0d3. Hills don't scare me but I'm dumb that way.

Any Lounge recs for rides/starts? Shops?

Thanks!

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Cruzer should be able to chime in soon as well I bet.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
and no matter what others may tell you, SC is not norcal.

btw, if you want to ride up in Sonoma... we've got a few hills around here.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
moschika said:
and no matter what others may tell you, SC is not norcal.

btw, if you want to ride up in Sonoma... we've got a few hills around here.
Cool, thanks and I'm sure I will...I need to log some serious miles/climbing for DeathRide. Any good listings of group rides in your area?

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bmxhacksaw said:
Foothill Dr. on the east side of the bay (San Leandro/Oakland area)
Can you send me a link to the Rosetta Stone for deciphering this? :) Is this a ride start? Popular ride? Nitely gang meetup?

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
chuckice said:
Can you send me a link to the Rosetta Stone for deciphering this? :) Is this a ride start? Popular ride? Nitely gang meetup?
I just remember when I lived for a short time in San Leandro in '90 or '91 that Foothill Drive (or Blvd. or whatever it is) was a really nice ride up in the foothills east of Oakland/San Leandro/San Lorenzo. Then you could take the canyon road out to Sunol and back.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I just remember when I lived for a short time in San Leandro in '90 or '91 that Foothill Drive (or Blvd. or whatever it is) was a really nice ride up in the foothills east of Oakland/San Leandro/San Lorenzo. Then you could take the canyon road out to Sunol and back.
I'm not an expert on the east bay, but I think you must have the wrong street or the wrong city. Maybe you are thinking of Foothill that runs thru Pleasanton? That's a pretty common route by cyclists, and it will get to you Sunol. Great riding out there, but Pleasanton and Oakland are worlds apart.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mohair_chair said:
I'm not an expert on the east bay, but I think you must have the wrong street or the wrong city. Maybe you are thinking of Foothill that runs thru Pleasanton? That's a pretty common route by cyclists, and it will get to you Sunol. Great riding out there, but Pleasanton and Oakland are worlds apart.
I took a glance at GoogleMaps for Sunol...looks like there isn't much out there. What's the terrain/neighborhoods? Seems good for riding on a map.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
chuckice said:
I took a glance at GoogleMaps for Sunol...looks like there isn't much out there. What's the terrain/neighborhoods? Seems good for riding on a map.
Not much out there. Sunol is an old railroad town, with a store or two, and is sort of a crossroads for the fantastic riding on Calaveras and Palomares. Those are good in either direction. Calaveras has been used every year in the Tour of California race. They also used Palomares one year. Use Foothill, Dublin Canyon, and Niles Canyon to join these up and make loops. Palomares off of Niles Canyon is a decent climb, sometimes steep. From the other direction, it's more gradual until the last mile, when it goes steep. Calaveras from Sunol has a climb that isn't a big deal, and it's up and down the rest of the way. I'd say Calaveras is one of the top 5 roads to ride in the Bay Area. It's great riding, great scenery, and very low traffic.

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mohair_chair said:
Not much out there. Sunol is an old railroad town, with a store or two, and is sort of a crossroads for the fantastic riding on Calaveras and Palomares. Those are good in either direction. Calaveras has been used every year in the Tour of California race. They also used Palomares one year. Use Foothill, Dublin Canyon, and Niles Canyon to join these up and make loops. Palomares off of Niles Canyon is a decent climb, sometimes steep. From the other direction, it's more gradual until the last mile, when it goes steep. Calaveras from Sunol has a climb that isn't a big deal, and it's up and down the rest of the way. I'd say Calaveras is one of the top 5 roads to ride in the Bay Area. It's great riding, great scenery, and very low traffic.
That's excellent info, thanks. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts