Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had great news in regards to my internship, went to traffic court midday and received a PBJ with no points and a reduced fine. The weather was absolutely beautiful 60+ degrees. What a wonderful day for a ride! After court I decided to head for the North Central Railroad Trail and get some miles in. Now I am sitting at the computer with a glass of wine and my feet on the coffee table putting these pics up for all of you to see, I hope you enjoy them.

1. Self portrait
2-4 The trail is some sort of crushed stone it creates a white paste on everything when it's wet as it was today. It's a great trail beautiful views all the way along.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There were lots of people on the first few miles, walkers, joggers, dog walkers, stroller walkers, and lots of bikers and down on the river there was even a canoe! Everyone was enjoying the weather outside today! I was on my ss/fixie; I need to figure out where to put my 15mm wrench for now I put it in my back pocket.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have had a decent amount of rain lately and the water table is high as evidenced by all the water running off these rocks, beautiful.
:D

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lime kilns are at the southern end of the trail, not too much to them but interesting. The country-side along the trail is wonderful. I usually see interesting wild life, this time I heard some pretty birds but didn't see much besides squirrels and other humans.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty decent Johnny-on-the-spots near the southern end of the trail, they get fewer and farther between as you get away from the more populated end of the trail. Pics 2&3 are of 2 of the road crossings, there really aren't that many. It really it a beautiful trail, I'd like to tube or canoe the river sometime.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is an interesting bridge over the Gunpowder River, The bridge appear to be two pieces laid in parallel, I never before noticed that the space between the two curbs looks down to the river below, it gave me a touch of vertigo.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Time to turn around so I can get back to the car before the sun goes down. Back through the woods, less people now. I love my champagne corks. My friendly little pickup is waiting for me at the parking lot time to pack up. I have to go riding again tomorrow, the weather is supposed to stay beautiful. :D

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Nice stuff zeytin. And we even got a partial view of your bottom ;) . That bridge certainly is interesting. How far did you ride?
Cheers, Wayne

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
This trail is in Maryland; it starts north of Baltimore in Cockeysville and runs to York, PA. I took so many pictures I don't think I got far maybe 15 miles round trip. I was enjoying the ride and the weather and the sounds of the woods. The weather here has been unseasonably warm, it's a false spring and the flowers and the birds are confused.
More info here.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Thanks for an introduction to the Northern Central Rail Trail, Zeytin. I'm going to have to get up there and ride it. I suppose on good weather weekends it's crowded? Great rock photos.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KWL said:
Thanks for an introduction to the Northern Central Rail Trail, Zeytin. I'm going to have to get up there and ride it. I suppose on good weather weekends it's crowded? Great rock photos.
Usually but really only for the first few miles then it really thins out. The trail is decently wide and if I use my bell people are usually quick to step to the right. Just watch for "road apples" as there are horses in the area, I usually only see a couple in a ride though they are polite as well.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Lincoln trivia

zeytin said:
This trail is in Maryland; it starts north of Baltimore in Cockeysville and runs to York, PA. I took so many pictures I don't think I got far maybe 15 miles round trip. I was enjoying the ride and the weather and the sounds of the woods. The weather here has been unseasonably warm, it's a false spring and the flowers and the birds are confused.
More info here.
When Abraham Lincoln traveled from Washington to Gettysburg in November 1863 to give his now famous Address, his train traveled over the route of the Northern Central. There are parts of the trail that probably don't look much different than they did in 1863.

Z -- Thanks for the pics. Let's schedule the Greenmount ride soon.

·
Registered
152 Posts
zeytin said:
Usually but really only for the first few miles then it really thins out. The trail is decently wide and if I use my bell people are usually quick to step to the right. Just watch for "road apples" as there are horses in the area, I usually only see a couple in a ride though they are polite as well.
Definitely thins out up here in PA. On a nice summer weekend you'll typically only come across a handful of people per mile. The only problems I have are with large families who can't control their children (or sometimes their adults :rolleyes: )...I've had several very close calls with kids weaving or darting out onto the trail. Well, I guess you have that just about anywhere.

So for those of you planning to come ride the NCR Trail, don't forget about the PA portion of it! We have some nice scenery, too (sorry, no pics yet). The trail is super-flat, so it's not hard to put in quite a few miles. My personal best is from Seven Valleys, PA to the end of the trail in MD and back--about 60 miles round trip, on the fixie. It's really hard to beat if you're looking for a laid-back ride in beautiful scenery.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
High Rouleur

I've heard there are places to get water and stuff on the Pennsylvannia end, is that correct? Are there many road crossings? I am hoping to do some round trip rides on it this spring or summer and would like a lunch destination on the northern end before I turn around to return.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
107 Posts
thanks

Great photos. I felt like I was there. Just wondering what PBJ is and what it has to do with your internship. Thanks

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
thbirks said:
Great photos. I felt like I was there. Just wondering what PBJ is and what it has to do with your internship. Thanks
Sorry, I didn't say that very well. Friday was a great day because I received a lot of good news.
I woke up to a phone call to inform me that my internship transfer had been confirmed; that was very good news because my mentor S*UCKED.
Then I went to court for a traffic ticket and received a Probation Before Judgement, which means no points on my record and reduced fine which mean no increase in insurance rates(I have to be super careful and slow for about 1 year)
The weather was like 20+ degrees warmer than usual. All of this and a bike ride too, it was a wonderful day.
Oh, and MarkS. I'm game, as long as it's on a Sat or Sunday.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Pbj

thbirks said:

Here in Maryland, PBJ does not mean "Peanut Butter and Jelly." In criminal cases (which include traffic matters), a Maryland judge can give a defendant "probation before judgment." What it means in practical terms is that you have to pay a fine or serve whatever sentence the judge directs, but if you do not have another violation within a specified period, no judgment of conviction is entered and your record remains clean. This is usually used in traffic cases for first offenders (or people who have not had a ticket for several years). You have to pay a fine, but if you don't get another ticket within a year or two, your record remains clean and no points are entered.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Pbj

I wondered why they were giving out sandwhiches at traffic court. I've never heard of that. During my driving years in NJ I received two speeding tickets (both 15 miles over the limit, 4 points each, highest insurance rates in the country, Ouch!) The best I could have done was go to court and hope the judge would lower the ticket to say I was speeding by less than 15MPH over the limit. This PBJ thing seems less corrupt.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I need to figure out where to put my 15mm wrench for now I put it in my back pocket.
What about cutting off the open end, griding it smooth then attaching it with 2 zip ties that have quick releases - toss in a small piece of inner tube between the frame & wrench - box end up so it won't slide out if it slides.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts