Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm travelling to Minneapolis for a soccer tournament next weekend, and was hoping to get some recommendations regarding places to ride a road bike.
My hotel is in Brooklyn Centre, and the soccer fields are in Blaine. I had access to a car. What would you recommend for good 1 or 2 hour bike rides either in this area, or accessable by car in less than half an hour drive away? My definition of a good ride is one where the roads or paths are paved, have little car traffic, and good scenery would be an added bonus.
In the past, I've ridden on abandoned railway lines that were paved and made into bike paths in Northern Minnesota. These were fantastic! Are any of these near Blaine / Brooklyn Centre?
Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would highly recommend the Dakota Rail trail. It might be a bit more than 30 minutes from Brooklyn Center but not much. Trail is paved the whole way and is flat but can get windy especially the farther west you go. Trail starts in Wayzata at the city hall which is near a beautiful marina and travels west for 21 miles ( more opening June 1). Scenery varies from urban to wooded to wetlands to bridges over some of the many lakes in MN. Some benches along the way for taking in the sites and a few places for food and beverage as well. I would suggest riding to St. Bonifacous (13 miles one way) and stopping at the Bistro near the trail head. They serve organic and locally sourced products when possible and the food is very good although not the least expensive you will find. If you continue to Mayer (8 miles) it will get more rural but a few good spots to stop and rest that provide views of Lake Waconia and on the weekends a little diner near the trail head in Mayer. Trail can get crowded on weekends with lots of bikers, runners, walkers, and roller bladers but unless you are racing, it is not too hard to keep a good pace.

Added a link to trail info Dakota Rail Trail

Other place to consider is the paths around Lake Calhoun/Cedar Lake. I do not ride these as much but they are much more urban and congested than Dakota Rail trail but they do allow you to connect to other trails to navigate around the city of Minneapolis if you want an urban ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the recommendation. It looks like a great trail and definitely something worth trying out next weekend!
Are there similar trails closer to Blaine / **** Rapids? These might be easier to do in between soccer games in National Sports Centre.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I really do not know that area very well as I am on the opposite end of the Twin Cities, I would suggest looking at the Twin Cities Bike Club, Three Rivers Park District, and the city of Blaine websites for more local info. The roads are open and not too heavily traveled around Blaine but I could not recommend a good route.

Another good source of info is MN Trails : Lodging : Camping : State Parks Minnesota it provides info for biking and hiking trails through out the state maybe something I am not aware of may help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.