Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all Northern VA riders (Alexandria, Springfield, Ft. Belvoir areas)...

Can someone, or even a few people give me the rundown on what the riding situations are like around those locations, or even DC area?

I have a job interview in that area this week, and might be relocating soon (if they hire me, which I think they will), and want to know what I'm getting myself into, or what I can look forward to for riding conditions, and or locations.

Thanks for any information you guys can throw my way. Appreciate it.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
907 Posts
Suburban Sprawl. Even if it isn't richy rich yuppies in Mercedes SUV's running you off the roads, its some ******* in a pick-up truck. The ride is nothing special & quite nerve racking compared to more rural areas of VA.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
magnolialover said:
Calling all Northern VA riders (Alexandria, Springfield, Ft. Belvoir areas)...

Can someone, or even a few people give me the rundown on what the riding situations are like around those locations, or even DC area?

I have a job interview in that area this week, and might be relocating soon (if they hire me, which I think they will), and want to know what I'm getting myself into, or what I can look forward to for riding conditions, and or locations.

Thanks for any information you guys can throw my way. Appreciate it.

hey ML

1) Mt Vernon Trail 35 miles
2) Custis Trail (5 mile connector) between mt vernon and W&OD
2.5) four mile run path (connects W&OD and Mt Vernon on arlington/alexandria border)
3) W&OD Trail 45 miles to purceeville, va

4) bikepptc.org lots of rides all over (md/va/dc) at all levels

5) monday? and wednesday? lunch time rides with the racers at Haines Point in DC

6) tues/thurs hammerfests (Annandale evening speed works (see bikepptc.org)
7) tues/thurs hammerfests in reston with reston bike club

8) waba.org might have more information

does this help?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
NoVa is a busy place but there are lots of good rides and riders around.

The weather is mild enough that we rarely miss a day of riding.

·
Registered
655 Posts
You will need to head west to hit some hills. If your willing to get in the car you can hit some great stuff past Leesburg or better yet Front Royal (about an hour and a quarter away) and hit the Skyline drive. Mount Weather is a good ride as well. Check out Potomac Peddlers if you want some good area group rides of a more social nature. Lots of mountain bike trails if you drive a bit

·
Registered
841 Posts
The DC area, including NoVA, has an active cycling scene, both for racing and for recreational riding. It's a big metro area, but there are some good road loops close in to DC, as well as various MUTs (and lunch and post-work rides on the road around Haines Point in DC basically every work day). I live in Arlington and I'm not super familiar with rides down around Ft. Belvoir, but I'm sure that there are riders down there who can point you to particular routes once you're situated. I didn't race this weekend, but I did an easy 20 with the team Friday morning before work (and rode to work), did my north Arlington hill loop yesterday (a 5-6 mile basic lap on the road with variations easily available -- mostly relatively quiet roads, about half with bike lanes); today I did about 40 out into Fairfax and back, mostly MUT, but with a few road miles).

There's some really great riding an hour or so drive west of town, and also some nice stuff about an equal drive north, but there's plenty of riding in town too.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
djg said:
.....I did an easy 20 with the team Friday morning before work (and rode to work), did my north Arlington hill loop yesterday
Is your team Squadra Coppi? The boys (and girls) in blue pass me often on my morning commute into town.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
Ride in NoVa is pretty good as MB1 has indicated as long as you can stay off Route 1 in Alexandria. Also, don't count out the MD portion of the possibility.
Simply go across the Key Bridge and you will find some excellent riding.
I used to live in Alexandria and on the weekend I would ride to the Beach drive (good portion is closed to car traffic on weekend) and East West Hwy for DC Velo ride (a fast 30 mile group ride).
Riding on MacArthur Blvd thru Potomac and Bethesda is good also.
I live out in Leesburg and the riding is awesome out here.

·
Registered
841 Posts
KWL said:
Is your team Squadra Coppi? The boys (and girls) in blue pass me often on my morning commute into town.
Yep, that's us -- give a wave next time. Glad to say hi out there.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
djg said:
... I didn't race this weekend, ...
With two wonderful races in Syn-Fit and Carl Dolan, you didn't make it out. I was supposed to race the early races both days (i.e., Cat 4 at Syn-Fit and 3/4 at Carl Dolan), but we gave my 2 year old daughter a "big girl" bed on Friday and neither my wife nor I got much sleep on Saturday or Sunday. So, I slept in and did a later race both days. Did the Masters 35+ 4/5 on Saturday afternoon and did the Cat 4/5 on Sunday. Both races were pretty good.

Another one of your teammates frequents this board. I won't mention his name since he doesn't really let it be known on here.

I saw Joaquin on Sunday at Carl Dolan. Say hello to him for me when you see him and tell him congrats on his 5th place on Sunday. He will know who I am. By the way, I race for Latitude.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
djg said:
Yep, that's us -- give a wave next time. Glad to say hi out there.
If you see a slow old bearded guy wearing a TOSRV jersey and riding a bike with moustache bars, give me a shout.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
fabsroman said:
With two wonderful races in Syn-Fit and Carl Dolan, you didn't make it out. I was supposed to race the early races both days (i.e., Cat 4 at Syn-Fit and 3/4 at Carl Dolan), but we gave my 2 year old daughter a "big girl" bed on Friday and neither my wife nor I got much sleep on Saturday or Sunday. So, I slept in and did a later race both days. Did the Masters 35+ 4/5 on Saturday afternoon and did the Cat 4/5 on Sunday. Both races were pretty good.

Another one of your teammates frequents this board. I won't mention his name since he doesn't really let it be known on here.

I saw Joaquin on Sunday at Carl Dolan. Say hello to him for me when you see him and tell him congrats on his 5th place on Sunday. He will know who I am. By the way, I race for Latitude.
Carl Dolan....this brings up a sad memory for me.
He was a fantastic racer, father and husband.
I was in the race (1998 District TT) when he crashed and died.
I met him in a Tanqueray AIDS Ride to raise money for research to beat the disease while I was working for Tanqueray..
He was one of the nicest people I have ever met and touched so many people......

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
cpark said:
Carl Dolan....this brings up a sad memory for me.
He was a fantastic racer, father and husband.
I was in the race (1998 District TT) when he crashed and died.
I met him in a Tanqueray AIDS Ride to raise money for research to beat the disease while I was working for Tanqueray..
He was one of the nicest people I have ever met and touched so many people......
cpark,

You wouldn't happen to be Larry Black from College Park cycles, would you?

One of my current teammates used to race against me back in the mid to late 80's. We raced Greenbelt, etc. against one another and just ran into one another again back in early 2007 when we both decided to get back into racing that year. He is the one that convinced me to race for Latitude.

Anyway, I think I might have put 2 and 2 together at the race on Sunday when Carl's widow and son, with his own two kids, spoke to us before we started, and when the race promoter told us that the race was in memory of Carl Dolan whom died of a heat stroke 10 years ago during a Church Creek TT. I hadn't known that the race was a memorial race for a fellow cyclist and I hadn't known the approximate age of Carl Dolan, but after both speaches, I think I might have figured out who he was. The Carl I remember from the mid to late 80's was a guy with huge legs, blond hair, and glasses. He raced Greenbelt almost every week, was a pretty good sprinter, and was a really nice guy. Both my teammate and I had been talking about him last year as we reminisced about racing against Dave Osbourne and others back in the 80's, some of whom continued racing for the past 20 years straight. We were wondering about what happened to Carl, and I am now wondering if the Carl we remember is Carl Dolan.

Am I right about my hunch cpark?

·
Registered
841 Posts
KWL said:
If you see a slow old bearded guy wearing a TOSRV jersey and riding a bike with moustache bars, give me a shout.
Will do . . . I'll be the slow middle-aged bearded guy.

·
Registered
841 Posts
fabsroman said:

Sure, I'll be glad to say hi to Joaquin.

We had a bunch of folks do really well this weekend -- the women on Saturday, Jason, and check out the podium listings for the Cat 3 race at Battenkill.

Apart from the usual juggling I've been nursing a very slow recovery left over from last year and, although I'm doing ok, I'm still not 100% (not that my 100% is anything all that special, but it's what I'd like to have back). I'm signed up for Murad and might look for something earlier if I'm there.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
djg said:
Sure, I'll be glad to say hi to Joaquin.

We had a bunch of folks do really well this weekend -- the women on Saturday, Jason, and check out the podium listings for the Cat 3 race at Battenkill.

Apart from the usual juggling I've been nursing a very slow recovery left over from last year and, although I'm doing ok, I'm still not 100% (not that my 100% is anything all that special, but it's what I'd like to have back). I'm signed up for Murad and might look for something earlier if I'm there.
djg,

What category do you race? If you are in the 4's, I will see you at Murad in the race.

As far as the 3's are concerned, we won both Syn-Fit and Carl Dolan. Might have been because your guys were at Battenkill, but who knows. LOL

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
fabsroman said:
cpark,

You wouldn't happen to be Larry Black from College Park cycles, would you?

One of my current teammates used to race against me back in the mid to late 80's. We raced Greenbelt, etc. against one another and just ran into one another again back in early 2007 when we both decided to get back into racing that year. He is the one that convinced me to race for Latitude.

Anyway, I think I might have put 2 and 2 together at the race on Sunday when Carl's widow and son, with his own two kids, spoke to us before we started, and when the race promoter told us that the race was in memory of Carl Dolan whom died of a heat stroke 10 years ago during a Church Creek TT. I hadn't known that the race was a memorial race for a fellow cyclist and I hadn't known the approximate age of Carl Dolan, but after both speaches, I think I might have figured out who he was. The Carl I remember from the mid to late 80's was a guy with huge legs, blond hair, and glasses. He raced Greenbelt almost every week, was a pretty good sprinter, and was a really nice guy. Both my teammate and I had been talking about him last year as we reminisced about racing against Dave Osbourne and others back in the 80's, some of whom continued racing for the past 20 years straight. We were wondering about what happened to Carl, and I am now wondering if the Carl we remember is Carl Dolan.

Am I right about my hunch cpark?
No, Im not Larry. You are right about everthing on Carl except his leg size.
I don't recall them that big. In fact, I used to joke with him how my legs are twice as bigger than his and he can still out-sprint me......
If you were racing against Super Dave in the 80's, you are definately in a different class than I'm. I don't think I could hold his wheel in his bad day.
I do remember that that tragic day vividly. It was like 102 degrees with the heat index of 115+. I used it as a warm up for the District 20 TT in Richmond. I was suffering like everyone else when I spotted Carl (in DC Velo Skinsuit) ahead of more than half way through the race. I was super motivated as I pressed on to catch him. As I passed him I tap on his shoulder and said, "let's go Carl!" The look on his face was like very numb with no expression. After I finished the race and I saw an ambulance heading back for a fallen racer in the opposite direction. I waited for him and my other teammates but didn't get to see Carl. I knew imediately that the fallen racer was Carl because I'd have never pass him if he wasn't having a bad day. I went home thinking that he would be ok. Little did I know that was the last day I'd see him.... I still look at the photos now and then thinking about that tragic day.

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
cpark said:
No, Im not Larry. You are right about everthing on Carl except his leg size.
I don't recall them that big. In fact, I used to joke with him how my legs are twice as bigger than his and he can still out-sprint me......
If you were racing against Super Dave in the 80's, you are definately in a different class than I'm. I don't think I could hold his wheel in his bad day.
I do remember that that tragic day vividly. It was like 102 degrees with the heat index of 115+. I used it as a warm up for the District 20 TT in Richmond. I was suffering like everyone else when I spotted Carl (in DC Velo Skinsuit) ahead of more than half way through the race. I was super motivated as I pressed on to catch him. As I passed him I tap on his shoulder and said, "let's go Carl!" The look on his face was like very numb with no expression. After I finished the race and I saw an ambulance heading back for a fallen racer in the opposite direction. I waited for him and my other teammates but didn't get to see Carl. I knew imediately that the fallen racer was Carl because I'd have never pass him if he wasn't having a bad day. I went home thinking that he would be ok. Little did I know that was the last day I'd see him.... I still look at the photos now and then thinking about that tragic day.
Sometimes, I wonder about our sport. The first month I got back into racing I raced the Crystal City Classic Masters 35+ category that was open to 5's (i.e., I was a 5 because I was too poor in law school to renew my license so I lost my Cat 3 category). That was where I saw Osbourne for the first time in almost 20 years. I couldn't believe he was still racing. That race was extremely painful and I ended up finishing somewhere around 20th, maybe 21st if memory serves me correctly. The one thing I will never forget is being on Keith Mitchell's wheel when he went down. At first, I was glad that I didn't go down with him, but when we came around again he was still laying on the asphalt exactly how he went down. I'll never forget that he didn't take his hands off the bars as he went down. I'll never forget that he suffered a massive heart attack and died that day. That was a horrible day.

The next year, we have Clark hit his head on a pole and suffer a serious injury, not to mention all the other injuries I read about last year.

That story about Carl is horrible. I personally hate Church Creek. A teammate and I had to work it last year, and after that I rode it, not raced it, and felt like complete crap. If it wasn't for my teammate pulling me along for 20+ miles, I don't think I would have made it back to the parking lot.

As far as racing in the 80's was concerned, I had a lot more time to train back then and was a lot faster as a junior than I am right now as a 4. That is what happens when responsibilities increase that are not associated with cycling.

·
Registered
841 Posts
fabsroman said:
djg,

What category do you race? If you are in the 4's, I will see you at Murad in the race.

As far as the 3's are concerned, we won both Syn-Fit and Carl Dolan. Might have been because your guys were at Battenkill, but who knows. LOL
Who knows, but good on em for the wins (also Jason did the 1, 2, 3 race at Dolan ).

I dropped down from 3 to 4 for my so-called (just by me) comeback on the road last year. I'll see you at Murad man.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts