Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to use the NW Evolutions and liked their EE width. I look now on ebay and see the new shoes claim to be D width. When did they make the last change?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Don't believe everything you read

I like the Evolutions. So much in fact that I probably have 6 pairs and interfaces in carbon and fibra. The most I've paid was $80 for a pair except for the Cipo model. I recently bought a pair of Aerators. Believe me, they are as wide as the Evolutions and IMO for the same size, are even a bit wider.

High Gear said:
I used to use the NW Evolutions and liked their EE width. I look now on ebay and see the new shoes claim to be D width. When did they make the last change?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
The new models changed for 2008. The newer Aerlite models are narrower than the older Aerator shoes. This was confirmed by Northwave USA.

My Aerator SBS had a warranty issues and Northwave replaced them with the new Aerlite. Its a MUCH better shoes overall and very, very slipper like. But they did NOT fit my feet anymore. They cut is now very similar to DMT and Sidi.

If you likke the old Northwave fit, the Vertigo model is unchaged. Its a smae as I loved my Northwave shoes, but now moved on to Shimano E shoes and I am very happy.

2009 Aerlite S.B.S.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Interesting

That's too bad in some respect for people with wide dogs. I also have a pair of Shimano 215E's. Nice shoes. Different sole shape than the Northwaves. I find that they're much flatter in profile in their length axis and prefer the Northwave last.

DIRT BOY said:
The new models changed for 2008. The newer Aerlite models are narrower than the older Aerator shoes. This was confirmed by Northwave USA.

My Aerator SBS had a warranty issues and Northwave replaced them with the new Aerlite. Its a MUCH better shoes overall and very, very slipper like. But they did NOT fit my feet anymore. They cut is now very similar to DMT and Sidi.

If you likke the old Northwave fit, the Vertigo model is unchaged. Its a smae as I loved my Northwave shoes, but now moved on to Shimano E shoes and I am very happy.

2009 Aerlite S.B.S.

·
Registered
494 Posts
DIRT BOY said:

2009 Aerlite S.B.S.

LOL! I had a similar type of story. I loved the old Northwave Aerator shoes! My feet are pretty normal, but go a teeny bit toward the wide side. The Aerators were so perfect. Good fit, plus it didn't have the buckle thing that I so detest. So, when it was time to get new shoes I immediately jumped for a pair of the new Northwave Aerlite shoes. It's a LOT narrower. I decided to keep trying them and after a few months just couldn't get used to it and eventually eBayed them. What a terrible fit. I wish I would've known this before getting them. I think people that found the old Aerators a bit too wide will like the new Aerlites, but for me they suck. I wish that Northwave would bring back the old Aerator. I've also moved on to Shimano shoes because they are the widest feeling shoes I can find in a normal size without resorting to E widths.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The two things I liked about the NW Evolutions are that they were roomy in the toebox and snug on the heel. I had 46's but really needed size 47. I'll keep my eye on ebay. I do see the NW Hornet in my size on ebay but am not sure about their fit or quality. Anyone have any idea?

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I used the Hornets for a while. They were a great shoe. (Trying to sell them on Craigslist actually..) Fit me like a glove. Used them for 6 months then upgraded to the Vertigo. Those fit me perfectly as well. I wanted a carbon sole, so I bought a pair of Specialized Pro Comp (?) which were amazing, but the top strap cut into my foot so bad, I would hurt for days. Then the NW Typhoon came out so I got a pair of those. They don't fit me as good. Narrower and my foot slides back and forth. I'm not as happy with them. I wish they would have left "well-enough" alone.

·
Registered
296 Posts
High Gear said:
The two things I liked about the NW Evolutions are that they were roomy in the toebox and snug on the heel. I had 46's but really needed size 47. I'll keep my eye on ebay. I do see the NW Hornet in my size on ebay but am not sure about their fit or quality. Anyone have any idea?
they're good shoes.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DIRT BOY said:

2009 Aerlite S.B.S.
I got my Hornets yesterday. They do fit almost as well as the Evolutions. I would like to step up to the Vertigo carbon sole version. Do you know if the carbon soled model is still a wide shoe?

·
Registered
494 Posts
High Gear said:
I got my Hornets yesterday. They do fit almost as well as the Evolutions. I would like to step up to the Vertigo carbon sole version. Do you know if the carbon soled model is still a wide shoe?

The Hornets don't come in an extra-wide width, correct? Just wondering... How does the width feel between the Evolutions and the Hornets. Which one is wider?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to say, after one ride I think they are the same. No pressure point on the outside of my foot. The shoes are very light too. I would like to step up to the Aerator. My size 47 is a hard shoe to find.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts