Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found, and won, a NOS 1994 Klein Quantum II from eBay. Since this is the second time I am doing a Klein build in a year, I decided I would start a blog about the experience.

I have seen a few posts here about putting new groups on old frames. But, I am still not completely sure how folks feel about doing that. I can say that after wearing chain rings and freewheels/cassettes down to pointy nubs several times on my 1989 Klein, I enjoyed putting new technology on my trusty old friend. Plus, as an added bonus, the drop outs on the 1994 are wide enough to accommodate a modern 10spd drivetrain.

Since I just started this build, I am open to any and all feedback you have about the project. You can read more about my previous build on my Tumblr blog at kleinman

For this new build, the only items I have already ordered are: Phil Wood press fit outboard bearing bottom bracket, and a NOS threadless Campy Record headset. Everything else is TBD. Although I am leaning toward an Ultegra 10spd group with a compact crankset.

·
170 Posts
Very nice! I still ride my 1998 klein "stage comp t." I upgraded it through the years, with some old and some new parts, like a NOS dura ace quill stem (old) and a pair of bontrager paired-spoke race wheels (new). I think you will enjoy your Klein regardless of whether you go original or new with the components.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Very very pretty. I had a Klein mantra that was beautiful, old klieins had the best paint jobs.
The only thing I hated was the internal cable touting, uggh, tough to redo if you ever need to.

Great riding bikes
Bill

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I was distracted by another build for a while. But, I finally got around to ordering some of the parts. The replacement outboard bearing bottom bracket from Phil Wood is here along with the Campy Record headset and a shim so that I can use a 1 1/8" stem with the 1" steerer tube. It really starts to feel real when the parts begin to arrive :)
View attachment 281680
View attachment 281681
View attachment 281682

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.