Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong, Basso has put on an amazing show and I am glad he won but.....

I was expecting more from the other guys. The focus of yesterdays stage was the race for fourth place - kinda says it all.

Will the other races leading up to the TdF be any different?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Truth Hurts said:
Nope.They're all going to be boring because someone is going to win.We need a race where no one wins that way some of the complaining around here will stop.

Oh,wait....no it won't.They will just find something else to b1tch about.:rolleyes:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
SOME degree of competiton would be nice. Victories are as exciting as peanuts if no-one puts up a fight. Imagine having to sit through a Rocky movie where he just beats the crap out of his nemesis without taking any punches himself. Do you think they would have made a sequel?

[/B!TCH!NG MODE OFF]

·
Registered
333 Posts
So, how will folks like Landis and Vino and Valverde and a (presumably) in-shape Jan measure up to Basso come July? Is Basso just head and shoulders above anyone else, or is his domination in the Giro due to a weak field?
Of course it's probably a bit of both; Savoldelli had allergies, DiLuca was never competitive, Rujano apparently lost his mind, etc. etc., plus Basso was an absolout machine. Should be an interesting Tour...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Americano_a_Roma said:
plus Basso was an absolout machine.
Basso is an Extra-Terrestrial.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Odd how that happens...

...all the gnarly climbing (minus the Plan de Corones) and not one breakaway victor. I'm guessing (since even RAI didn't show the early part of each stage) that CSC must have just ridden the other teams into the ground. S-D, Phonak minus Landis, Lampre, Liquigas just don't have the horsepower on the flats. Voight, Gustev, Sorenson and Julich all pretty powerful roleurs, then throw in Sastre (who probably would have podiumed if he was CSC's ace) and game over.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe the tour will be a much better race...for one thing, I believe that Basso will be extremely fit, but I dont think think thathe can hold is peak for almost 2 months (beginning of Giro to the Tour). I also think that there is going to be some crazy things going on in the tour by riders who know their blood was found in the LS scandal....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Truth Hurts said:
Don't get me wrong, Basso has put on an amazing show and I am glad he won but.....

I was expecting more from the other guys. The focus of yesterdays stage was the race for fourth place - kinda says it all.

While out on a ride yesterday, I thought about this Giro. My 3 conclusions were:
- This was one of he most boring stage races of all time. There was really no drama on any fronts, not even other competitions besides the maglia rosa. At least during the Lance tours, there were some side shows.
- Simoni is one of the biggest tools of all time.
- Jan ullrich will win the 2006 Tour.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
What makes you think that Basso was at his peak in the Giro? Probably was but it's still an assumption that may not be true. For one thing Basso had his Beavis attack face on for almost the whole way up the climbs in the Tour last year and only brought it out the last km or 2 on the climbs this year in the Giro.

Jan will almost certainly be on the podium no matter what happens. But he has lost to Basso the last 2 years and his season to date has been just as problem plagued as all the others (except no X at the nightclub yet). As it stands post Giro he has one leg weaker than the other, resultant back problems, and still needs to lose weight. Hardly a recipe for optimal race shape in a month. The easy course will help him (won't need to lose as much weight for one thing) but he could still lose all his TT gains on the first mountaintop.

One thing for sure, with the doping supply lines disrupted the number of contenders is likely to shrink and time gaps increase (and all the moaning about boring races increase).

G

·
lallo said:
Ullrich NOt in top five in tour 2006

Why not - assuming he isn't sick or injured he'll dust everyone in the ITTs. There are only 3 mountain top finishes - he should be able to (at the least) limit his losses. And TMob will bring a strong team that will be 100% dedicated to Ulle, for a change. If Kloden is back and in good form, he'll help out allot on the climbs.

I don't know if he'll win, but I would expect a top 5 finish from him, even with a strong Basso.

Landis, Levi and Mancebo are good contenders. I don't think Popo will be a protected rider - he certainly has great potential though.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
Unibet

lallo said:
Ullrich NOt in top five in tour 2006

Basso
Landis
Leipheimer
Valverde
Popovich
According to Unibet, here are the handcaps for the Tour GC:

Tour de France 2006 : Overall winner
Who will win?
All bets void if any of the named riders are non starters

Basso, I 2.35
Ullrich, J 3.50
Vinokourov, A 10.00
Valverde, A 10.00
Landis, F 17.00
Any Other Rider 4.00

I'm not sure when this was last updated. I would say pretty recent. Interesting to see Vino still up there, he's still my man for the Tour!

If LSW spontaneously combusts, he should just make up a team of Kazakhs and other central Asian riders, and kick ass in le Tour! What Would Hinault Do?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Floyd @ 17 kinda surprises me, even Vino at 10 makes me think the numbers are before the "blood" bust. I would of guessed a two point spread between the top 5 guys. Any idea of the odds on the Giro before the start?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.