Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lacking the funds to get a true fit, I've researched a LOT about fit. I've been very happy with the fit I have. I haven't had hand soreness, or feel stretched/cramped. But something popped up recently (not c()d3) which makes me question my fit adjustments.
I've been trying to get more time in the drops, although I spend like 99% on the hoods. It's not uncomfortable, but it does feel like I could push the seat back and up more. Now if I do raise the seatpost, it'd bee too high and my hips would rock.
Fit gurus please advise. Could this be something as simple as a longer stem or moving the seat back? I'm afraid a longer stem might make me feel too stretched out while in the hoods.

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
It's almost impossible to suggest something when a bike holds sooo many possibilities for fit issues. I took my brother for one today and I have to say the guy sucked. The LBS I normally goto was closed today so we went somewhere else. Bad move! He measured NOTHING and did everything by eyeball. Not sure how that fairs here around the forum but I didn't find it very convincing myself. Find a reputable fitter, save up 100 bux and go and get yourself a proper fitting, it is well worth the money. You can try tweaking things yourself but to me it just ends up to be a domino effect of problems unless you have someone who knows what they are doing making the adjustments.

Oh I will say my bro was experiencing pain in his groinical/perenium area. He switched the saddle with a Sella brand that had an "ergonomic relief channel" then tilted the seat upward a bit. They also tilted the handle bars up a bit. Try that instead of raising the post. He said it felt MUCH better.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Peanya said:
Lacking the funds to get a true fit, I've researched a LOT about fit. I've been very happy with the fit I have. I haven't had hand soreness, or feel stretched/cramped. But something popped up recently (not c()d3) which makes me question my fit adjustments.
I've been trying to get more time in the drops, although I spend like 99% on the hoods. It's not uncomfortable, but it does feel like I could push the seat back and up more. Now if I do raise the seatpost, it'd bee too high and my hips would rock.
Fit gurus please advise. Could this be something as simple as a longer stem or moving the seat back? I'm afraid a longer stem might make me feel too stretched out while in the hoods.
Assuming its now at the correct height, I wouldn't raise the seat, because your saddle height doesn't change depending on hand placement on the bars. But unless you live by the letter of the KOPS 'rule', I wouldn't hesitate to move the seat back. Note the current location, make small, incremental adjustments (spending some time riding between them) until you find that comfort zone in the drops and on the hoods.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peter P. said:
Peanya, your body is telling you something that's counterintuitive: RAISE your bars so you can spend more time in the drops.

Either raise the bars, change the angle of the stem, move spacers or get a new fork with a longer steerer.
If you saw how high my bars are already! My bars are currently at saddle height, and I feel any higher might be too high... Going to start with the seat first, and work from there.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Get a stem with more rise to bring your bars up..

Work on your saddle position first, then fiddle with your bar position. Flexibility plays a big part when you are riding in the drops.

·
I didn't even own a cat..
594 Posts
show us a picture......

·
Registered
388 Posts
are us sure you are riding the drops correctly? it seems weird that you want to raise your seat and go back to fit the drops...if you are comfortable with your pedal stroke i would get a longer stem

when riding the drops your hands should be all the way up , not down by the end caps....but yes show us a picture....get on a stationary trainer if you have one and have someone take a picture of your position in the drops and hoods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts